Cow Tunnels Under Route 70

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have received two emails in the past few weeks about this so I have updated the photo in the first post.

Guy

Wrangleboro

Jul 5, 2012
Irish Wharf
www.allempires.com
There is a tunnel that runs under the Turnpike on the North side of the Rancocas River just after the bridge. It was negotiated by the landowner, Granville Haines, the farm is now an industrial park. Haines owned 35 acres of pasture on the other side and wanted direct access. When he sold off the main portion of his farm he deeded the 35 acres to the state, it's now part of Rancocas State Park. The tunnel is large enough to get a Ford 9N tractor through and to my knowledge is still there.
Trivia- The Haines farm was where they took Nikita Kruschev, in order to show him a typical working family farm. His response, "when do we go to "Disneyland".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a tunnel that runs under the Turnpike on the North side of the Rancocas River just after the bridge. It was negotiated by the landowner, Granville Haines, the farm is now an industrial park. Haines owned 35 acres of pasture on the other side and wanted direct access. When he sold off the main portion of his farm he deeded the 35 acres to the state, it's now part of Rancocas State Park. The tunnel is large enough to get a Ford 9N tractor through and to my knowledge is still there.
Trivia- The Haines farm was where they took Nikita Kruschev, in order to show him a typical working family farm. His response, "when do we go to "Disneyland".

Interesting to know. I know there is one much further up but I did not know about that one.

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Since this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd mention that the cow tunnels under the Turnpike I posted about some years ago are indeed being widened along with the roadway. I was visiting my parents and happened to be driving through the area a few weeks ago.