Coyote conspiracy: Myth, or state-business collusion?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Gambardello said he believes the importing is going on still. In October, local hunter Barry Zeldin, 74, went missing. A search of the Pine Barrens that Gambardello took part in yielded nothing.
"He could have been attacked by coyotes," Gambardello said

I highly doubt that. If he was armed and had the strength of at least a 15 years old boy, a 30 or 40 pound coyote really isn't a threat, even if he had no weapons. I know that some populations of coyotes will pack up for greater chances at taking down larger prey like deer, and I myself have heard and gotten a glimpse of a pack of coyotes in the Wharton Forest. I have camped numerous times out there, almost always alone and illegally camping in remote sections for sometimes longer than a week (don't turn me in please!), even without a fire lit in the night, they were careful to keep their distance and remained mostly unseen. Once or twice one or a few of them would get bold enough to try to sneak in close to steal food, some were successful if I didn't notice them or was asleep, but when I did see them and made a stand to block them, they ran away without even a growl. If you were to look up the amount of adult deaths that were caused by coyote attacks, you would probably eliminate them from the suspect list.

Sep 9, 2017
Pennsauken
The man had no weapon he was baiting a tree stand and had left his crossbow in his truck , which was later found . . There's the possibility the man had a stroke and the coyotes found him half alive and ate him . . I do know coyotes aren't scavengers and are normally more afraid of humans than we are of them, but I do believe it is possible that Barry was ate by coyotes. I definitely believe the insurance companies work with the state to release these animals in the pines . I saw the tag on the one coyote and it was from Maine.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The man had no weapon he was baiting a tree stand and had left his crossbow in his truck , which was later found . . There's the possibility the man had a stroke and the coyotes found him half alive and ate him . . I do know coyotes aren't scavengers and are normally more afraid of humans than we are of them, but I do believe it is possible that Barry was ate by coyotes. I definitely believe the insurance companies work with the state to release these animals in the pines . I saw the tag on the one coyote and it was from Maine.

I was told by law enforcement that this was not the first time he had been lost. Fortunately, the first time he had his cell phone with him and help was able to come and yell to him. He was then able to exit the woods. This time his cell phone was in the truck.

It is never a good idea to go it alone without telling someone where you are going. Especially when you have been lost before and don't carry a GPS. When I go alone my general location is sent to a member here and I keep in touch with my daughter by cell phone. I usually leave Google Earth up on my computer showing the general location I will be at. If he had done that there would most likely have been a different outcome.

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unfortnately, I doubt his disappearance will ever be resolved. I believe, do to his age, dementia, of one form or another, played a big part.

Sep 9, 2017
Pennsauken
I was told by law enforcement that this was not the first time he had been lost. Fortunately, the first time he had his cell phone with him and help was able to come and yell to him. He was then able to exit the woods. This time his cell phone was in the truck.

It is never a good idea to go it alone without telling someone where you are going. Especially when you have been lost before and don't carry a GPS. When I go alone my general location is sent to a member here and I keep in touch with my daughter by cell phone. I usually leave Google Earth up on my computer showing the general location I will be at. If he had done that there would most likely have been a different outcome.

The first time he was lost during a scouting trip, but was in a piece of woods we all knew . All I'm going to say is something funny happened. Barry was killed I believe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The first time he was lost during a scouting trip, but was in a piece of woods we all knew . All I'm going to say is something funny happened. Barry was killed I believe

Michael, you sound conflicted. Was it the stroke and the coyotes, or murder? You have to remember, his family may read your posts. Be a little more sensitive. The important thing for his family is to find closure, not supposition.

Last edited: