Coyote conspiracy: Myth, or state-business collusion?

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
The Pine Barrens is loaded with coyotes, but it's a rare treat to see one. Go on a hike after a snow storm and you'll be shocked at how many coyote tracks you'll see in the snow. But they're very elusive. I've probably hiked 7,000-8,000 miles in the NJ Pine Barrens in my lifetime and I've only seen them three times.

There is virtually no chance the missing hunter was killed by coyotes and the guy in the article who says coyotes have come up behind him and started barking at him needs to get into detox. The coyotes in the NJ Pine Barrens are not urban coyotes that have been desensitized to the presence of humans. They're scared to death of humans and will run away from you as fast as they can when they detect your presence. There have only been two reported deaths from coyotes in North America. One was a small child in California in the 1980's and the other was a 19 year old female jogger in Nova Scotia who was killed by hybridized coyotes that were 50% wolf.

The only thing you have to worry about killing you in the Pine Barrens is hypothermia. Take precautions against that and you are virtually untouchable.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is virtually no chance the missing hunter was killed by coyotes and the guy in the article who says coyotes have come up behind him and started barking at him needs to get into detox. The coyotes in the NJ Pine Barrens are not urban coyotes that have been desensitized to the presence of humans. They're scared to death of humans and will run away from you as fast as they can when they detect your presence. There have only been two reported deaths from coyotes in North America. One was a small child in California in the 1980's and the other was a 19 year old female jogger in Nova Scotia who was killed by hybridized coyotes that were 50% wolf.

In general I agree, but not all will run with their tail between their legs. Several years back 2 small kids were attacked and one dog was killed by coyotes here in NJ. There are over 150 documented attacks across the country. As far as being barked at, that is a quite common warning and has happened to me on several occasions. Same reaction as the neighbors dog barking at you.

Reactions: rjb

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Perhaps the hunter died of natural causes and was devoured by coyotes and other predators? Only shreds of clothing and his shotgun would remain, presuming some human didn't come upon his apparently abandoned shotgun and took it as his own.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
The coyotes are all over the pine barrens. Some days out in the snow I see more coyote tracks then I do deer tracks. Research has shown that the eastern coyote is a different breed then the coyote found in other states out west. They are bigger with a bigger head. DNA research confirms that they have significant strains on wolf genetics. I have heard them yipping or barking at night but have never had one try to come up on me in daylight or in the dark.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
In general I agree, but not all will run with their tail between their legs. Several years back 2 small kids were attacked and one dog was killed by coyotes here in NJ. There are over 150 documented attacks across the country. As far as being barked at, that is a quite common warning and has happened to me on several occasions. Same reaction as the neighbors dog barking at you.
46 er , is right on the mark .The attacks actually occurred up in Monmouth County , (Middletown ) April, 20007 . There 's certainly a lot more coyotes in the Pines than Monmouth County .

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Coyotes imported by insurance companies. I guess anything's possible, but it sure sounds a bit far-fetched to me :confused:. I'm also always amused at the criticism of coyote populations by deer hunters. They are obviouly a predator of deer but sportsmen are also notorious for blaming their lack of success on something else (and that's coming from a hunter ;)).

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Pine Barrens is loaded with coyotes, but it's a rare treat to see one. Go on a hike after a snow storm and you'll be shocked at how many coyote tracks you'll see in the snow. But they're very elusive. I've probably hiked 7,000-8,000 miles in the NJ Pine Barrens in my lifetime and I've only seen them three times.

The only thing you have to worry about killing you in the Pine Barrens is hypothermia. Take precautions against that and you are virtually untouchable.
I have to disagree that the only thing that can kill you is hypothermia.I have almost succumbed to deer flies on several occasions.:)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
They definately affect the deer population. I've come across many a deer carcass and signs of a struggle with a coyote pack. My neighbor watched a pack take down a small deer in his backyard. As others have mentioned, sometimes I see more coyote tracks than deer in the woods. I also hunt, but do not blame any lack of success on coyotes, however, if you think they dont have a pretty large affect on the deer population in the pines, I think that is misguided info. While I find many types of small rodent hair in their scat, I've also seen plenty of deer hair in there, not that I always play with coyote poop :D

Reactions: manumuskin

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
They definately affect the deer population. I've come across many a deer carcass and signs of a struggle with a coyote pack. My neighbor watched a pack take down a small deer in his backyard. As others have mentioned, sometimes I see more coyote tracks than deer in the woods. I also hunt, but do not blame any lack of success on coyotes, however, if you think they dont have a pretty large affect on the deer population in the pines, I think that is misguided info. While I find many types of small rodent hair in their scat, I've also seen plenty of deer hair in there, not that I always play with coyote poop :D

After twenty five years, my wife still hasn't gotten used to my habit of examining dead things and poop. Life is short. One has to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. :)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Havent heard the yotes in a while near me, but I thought I'd post that I heard them twice this week and that was from inside with the windows closed. Last night was pretty darn close, maybe 200 yards into the woods. Always welcoming to hear them IMO.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PineyMike said "Havent heard the yotes in a while near me, but I thought I'd post that I heard them twice this week and that was from inside with the windows closed."

I heard them loud and clear Mike, when I stepped outside to take the dog for a walk. They were very close.

PS: I can no longer reply with quotes from the previous poster, have not been able too for several weeks...I don't know why.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
PineyMike said "Havent heard the yotes in a while near me, but I thought I'd post that I heard them twice this week and that was from inside with the windows closed."

I heard them loud and clear Mike, when I stepped outside to take the dog for a walk. They were very close.

PS: I can no longer reply with quotes from the previous poster, have not been able too for several weeks...I don't know why.
test