Coyote or Wolf?

B

BarryC

Bobcats are listed as an endangered (or threatened, I forget) species in the Pine Barrens. Coyotes apparently are quite common, although I haven't seen one yet.
alfonso said:
i believe i saw coyotes before in the wells mill area and the crossly area , there out there . if they don't want to be seen they won't. always carry something with you for protection . i also beleive i saw a bobcat or lynkes. in the area . the pines hold alot of secrets. please becarefull out there

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The only critters I"ve ever been hurt or threatened by in the Barrens are insects,arachnids, etc. and man.the first class I rely on permanone or just take my licks as dues to the show of the barrens the second I try to avoid till I"ve observed their behavior.Old folks,small kids and women are usually safe.Teens can be dangerous drunks most definitely especially when wielding guns,I"m more shy of grown men when I know I"m outnumbered ,teens also but generally I find 99% of people are either friendly or at least non threatening unfortunatel while usually less dangerous as a whole certain creepy crawlies will show you know mercy though at least I understand where their coming from.to them your either a meal or a threat,some of the things people do are just pure unreasonable meanness.Thats why I"m the camo king,I"ve met a few people in the woods sneakier then me but fortunately they weren"t the eviler sort.Coyotes,big cats and the like I wouldn"t even worry about now bears are another story,especially young males and females with cubes especially of the grizzly variety but we don"t have those here.I"ve read a lot of books on bears and theirs the two schools of thought on attacks.Fight and play dead.you cant outrun em so forget that.I think I"d fight because I know me,I can"t take being mauled without screaming,I"m a pain sissy so I"d be out to cause some pain back.pain hurts less when your in a fight anyway,just laying there gives you too much time to think about it.
Al

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
there are plent yotes in the greenwood and manchester. i have seen them for years. i would be more afraid of wild dogs which are few but out there. just learn to climb fast if they pack up against you. :wink:

busteach

Apr 14, 2004
Coyote sighting

We have seen what appears to be a coyote in our yard in Medford 3 times this week. I am not sure whether or not to report this, but after reading various posts here, I am a little concerned. I actually live in a neighborhood & our house backs up to the woods (along with all of our neighbors on this side of the street. We are fairly certain this is a coyote, as we have looked at various pictures & read descriptions. Should we be concerned for the safety of small children and pets in the neighborhood? Just looking for some info. Thanks! (We are keeping our video camera handy & will attempt to get some footage.)

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
if it is a coyote keep an eye on your pets and warn your neighbors. coyotes are cunning killers and will grab your pet by the throat so quick it wont be able to cry for help. up in MAINE they pounce on the yarded up deer killing over 40% of the population. they kill for fun sometimes jumping on the deer in the winter yards because the deer cant get up and run in the deep snow. go to new jersey fish and game web site and they use to have a report a coyote section. i truey believe there are more in the pine barrens than you think.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Coyote sighting

busteach said:
Should we be concerned for the safety of small children and pets in the neighborhood? Just looking for some info. Thanks! (We are keeping our video camera handy & will attempt to get some footage.)

I don't think you would get a good answer to that on this board. I certainly don't have any experience with coyotes and I won't pretend I do. To be safe, I would have some healthy concern.........I'd love to see your photo if you are succesful......bob

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You don't have too much to worry about with only one.
They don't start snatch'in up the young'ins or them pesky cats till there's at least two or three together.
If it looks like a slightly mangy, undersized, light colored German Shephard then you got coyotes.
Really, don't worry.
Scott

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I have seen very large canine prints following dear along the trail that is in the Devious area. I think that it is possible that there are mixed breeds of coyote and dogs in the pines. I could not match up the prints exactly with any domestic dog in the books I have. They did resemble a wolf print more than any of the other samples in my book.

Ron

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
manumuskin said:
I"ve seen two coyotes in the past year and got a real good look at both.they were both german shepherd size though maybe not as thick in the chest.tall,long and lanky I"d say.they were I would judge about 60 lb.for both andmid thigh on me and my belt is 36 inches off the ground so I"d say 26 inches at the shoulder.our coyotes they say are bigger then western coyotes because they bred with wolves in canada before they started moving south.wether this is so I don"t know but one of the ones I seen stared me in the eye for a good minute before I tried to get closer and except for the exceptionally large ears I"d say he could of passed for a small wolf.
Al

The eastern coyote is larger due to the wolf inbreeding; The east coast also has it's own hybrid called the coy-dog. I spend some time in the Poconos and have been spotting Coyote/feral dogs for a number of years. They look like a shepard w a bushy tail & alot of fur around the ears. Most are grey/brown bur I have seen all black which could be coy-dog influence. I've never seen one when I was moving! Only when sitting on stand. I'm in an area known for it's black bear population & I see more coyote than bear. As far as bobcat; it's been known to survive in remote pockets and PA is taking them off the endangered species list. I'd bet there are a few in the pines. Despite all the building in NJ there is still a good network of wooded areas between the Poconos, down thru the sourlands, etc. that the movement of Bears, Coyote, etc. towards the pines is inevitable