Coyote puppies

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I got out for a ride on the motorcycle this morning and found myself about 1/2 between Warren Grove and Recovery Road when two coyote pups crossed in front of me. I turned off the bike and climbed a slight rise on the roadside.

The two puppies were at a safe distance but obviously very curious and watched me with great interest (probably the first time they saw a human). The feeling was mutual to say the least. They were not so far away that I could not see them in detail. This was an area still recovering from the wildfire so there was little cover.

Now this is interesting...They were both puppies, no question, but still large. About the size of fox-not as long but heavier. Very healthy looking. Now get this, one was nearly jet black except for a slight fade toward gray on his tail. The other was nearly fox red, but with some grey. I remember seeing a photo of an eastern coyote that was black, but I did not know they came in red!

A few years back, my wife saw a state trooper along the parkway out of his car looking at, in her words: "a big coyote with red fur, too large to be a fox". I always wondered about that but now I seem to agree that it was a red yote.

Sadly, I forgot my camera. However the zoom on my older "woods" camera does not work well and I doubt the pics would have been very good. It was very exciting. I spent about 5 minutes observing this animals, and them observing me, till they finally moved deeper. No sign of the mother. But I will say that the mother is probably one big bad a$$ judging from the size of these puppies.

BTW I know the difference between a fox and a yote. These were yotes and did not appear to be coy-dogs, aside from the color, they were identical.

Jeff

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I do!! Yeah, it was slightly lighter that a red fox.

Awesome sighting Jeff.
While living in KY, coyotes were a common thing but I never saw a black one or a completely red one. I'm guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised if the red one turns grey as it matures. I saw lots down there and the ones I saw up close were almost always grey with red legs and hindquarters.

I would be willing to bet that within the next 15 years, coyotes will be as common here as they are in California. They won't be as much as a curiosity when people start losing pets and children get attacked.

I was told that KY didn't have any coyote population to speak of before the deep freezes that hit during the mid to late seventies when the Mississippi froze over. If that's true, them critters only do one other thing besides eat and travel....:)

I hope for their sakes and many a pet to come that they find the pines slightly barren. It's cool though to have a small population of them here. I would hate to see them considered a nuisence.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice sighting Jeff! A fiend of mine ran into some pups and the parents and they were not very frightened of him. Here is one of the numerous photo’s he took of the pups. One photo shows them right near him.

TWOPUPSREDUCED.jpg

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, it was cool. Thanks for posting the photo. It looks as though there is a brown red hue on those coyotes. I agree, Jay, that the red may certainly fade with maturity.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Awww

How cool, Jeff! I know they can be destructive but I love the little things. I think they are so misunderstood.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
How cool, Jeff! I know they can be destructive but I love the little things. I think they are so misunderstood.

I have to respectfully disagree with you Star. These can be dangerous animals if left to breed out of control which, I think will happen here in NJ. I believe conditions are excellent here for them to get somewhat out of control, and when that happens, bad things will happen.

I sure hope those pups gain a great fear of people. Losing or never having that fear is when the problems begin.

Sorry to be such a stick in the mud.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Can you provide evidence of how they can be dangerous? Just curious, as I've only heard of a few attacks(all on dog walkers).

Jeff, the only yote I've seen was red too.....a striking animal.....saw him on the parkway stalking deer.

Was in that same area yesterday Jeff, I have to saw the freshly burned woods is awesome now with the regrowth.....I wish they would light the entire barrens on fire....thats what the pines are suppose to look like. I must admit though that is the first time I've been down that way since my youth.....it was phenomenally sad to see all that development......is that target near recovery road new??

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
There are risk/rewards for living in any area.....you don't want to risk a coyote attack in your backyard then move to the city or suburbs. If you want to live out in the woods be prepared for the good and bad.......

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
There are risk/rewards for living in any area.....you don't want to risk a coyote attack in your backyard then move to the city or suburbs. If you want to live out in the woods be prepared for the good and bad.......

I agree 100%. Another answer if you live in the woods and are afraid is go rescue a dog or two. There are always stories of coyotes attacking a dog but you rarely, if ever, hear of an attack when more than one dog is present. Of course, I do believe this is a time when size matters.:dance:

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
I have to respectfully disagree with you Star. These can be dangerous animals if left to breed out of control which, I think will happen here in NJ. I believe conditions are excellent here for them to get somewhat out of control, and when that happens, bad things will happen.

I sure hope those pups gain a great fear of people. Losing or never having that fear is when the problems begin.

Sorry to be such a stick in the mud.

Oh yes, I understand that, Jay. Still, Coyotes play an important role in the ecosystem helping to keep rodent populations under control. I'm all for keeping them under control, as well, and keeping them wild. What I should have said is that they are misunderstood by the general public. They don't understand that leaving unattended pets/their food, raising fowl or poultry and things like birdfeeders in the yard is a tasty treat for coyotes. They aren't sweet little adoptable puppies, they are wild animals. I can't help but think they are beautiful creatures as long as they are at a distance.

Sorry I didn't complete what I should have said. You are absolutely right.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

We have them in the suburbs too, increasingly. I personally have no problem with controlling animals that have any proven inclination to attack people, but I know I am in the minority these days.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
We have them in the suburbs too, increasingly. I personally have no problem with controlling animals that have any proven inclination to attack people, but I know I am in the minority these days.

I'm with you Mark. I can see coyotes eventually being classified as varmints with an open season on them. It may take 10,15 or even twenty years but I'm sure it will happen. It's a shame too because they are just doing what they do best, and that's find food.

One thing that most people here will probably not get to hear too often is a pack of coyotes on the prowl at night. The sound is hard to describe....yipping, howls, barks that sound like indians on the warpath. Beautiful and scarey at the same time. Their noises really carry too. You would think they are going to come through your window at any second but they are more than likely a couple hundred yards away.

I think they will end up like the bears up north except not as dangerous but much more plentiful. A problem that Fish and Wildlife will have to solve.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
One thing that most people here will probably not get to hear too often is a pack of coyotes on the prowl at night. The sound is hard to describe....yipping, howls, barks that sound like indians on the warpath. Beautiful and scarey at the same time. Their noises really carry too. You would think they are going to come through your window at any second but they are more than likely a couple hundred yards away.

"Beautiful and scary at the same time," is a wonderful description, Jay. You don't know how much I want to capture their baying on a recording -- well, I've accomplished this once, but the pack had to be a mile distant, and the result is poor (though still haunting enough); in fact, I never heard this group with my ears, but the mics picked them up. As much as I'm in the barrens at night, you'd think I'd hear them all the time. The one time I heard them full force was during an overnight at Mullica Camp on the Mullica River. Several were bouncing around the campsite; foraging, I guess.

Does anybody know an area where coyotes commonly howl?

Bill

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bill, in high school we use to have bonfires at the same spot were you and Al recorded the pbtf. We use to hear yotes on occassion at that spot......I certainly come across a load of scat down there.

Coyotes are all over the place as I've said before a guy I know got one on his spy camera in lawnside, nj across from UPS....pretty suburban area....and pretty cool.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
"Beautiful and scary at the same time," is a wonderful description, Jay. You don't know how much I want to capture their baying on a recording -- well, I've accomplished this once, but the pack had to be a mile distant, and the result is poor (though still haunting enough); in fact, I never heard this group with my ears, but the mics picked them up. As much as I'm in the barrens at night, you'd think I'd hear them all the time. The one time I heard them full force was during an overnight at Mullica Camp on the Mullica River. Several were bouncing around the campsite; foraging, I guess.

Does anybody know an area where coyotes commonly howl?

Bill

Bill, I was hearing them often from my backyard (in Tabernacle) this winter. Not much lately.