coyote sighting

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Last Saturday while riding our horses on a trail behind the Carranza Memorial one ran across the trail no more than 200 feet in front of us. It was very gracefull and had alot of fur. A good looking animal. We often find we can get closer to wild animals on horseback than on foot. They often stop to look at us and we've even had young deer follow us.

Ed

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is really cool Ed!!! I've only had two positive coyote Id's in my experience in the pines. Good to know it looked healthy. So you have yearlings following you on horseback? That is kind of funny.

Jeff

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
how dangerous are coyotes really to humans? and i'm talking about after you've already encountered and angered one (or many)...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I had one very close encounter with one. I was on one side of the road, he was on the other, we just stared at each other for what seemed like a long time. He was not aggressive, or scared, or anything other than curious. I could hear his commrades in the woods behind him and that had me somewhat worried. That was my experience. In the pine barrens, the coyotes are very reclusive and have not become reliant on human refuse and seem not to interact with humans or man-made objects at all. Very admirable.

I hear they are having some problems down in Cape May though.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
BTW, the coyote I encountered was large, but not large enough to pose a serious threat to me. In a confrontation, I would win without a doubt, though probably not without some injury. A pack would be another story.

Jeff

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Coyote breakfast

woodjin said:
I hear they are having some problems down in Cape May though.

Jeff

Jeff,

I read that they have quite a "taste" for nesting piping plovers!:D

Maybe someone at Rutgers could develop some kind of a genetic modification that would change their "breakfast of choice" to Fucus furcatus...:rofl:

ebsi