Coyotes running wild.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
My uncle's cousin's brother in law's sister's husband's grandfather told me the same thing. Go figure.
Actually, the most popular version is: The first few coyotes that were shot in NJ had collars on them indicating that they were from Texas!
The hunters supposedly tracked the collars to a man in Texas who was selling them to NJ Fish and Wildlife to control deer.
Sorry I got to run, the Tooth Fairy is coming to my house tonight.
:)

HuntingPA.com has the same story but PENNA is importing them w/ Michigan ear tags...LOL

Mar 1, 2008
i've seen a few coyotes at night in the pines south of chatsworth. we drove right up next to one and it just trotted on down the road for about 100 yards next to us before turning off into the woods. after that, we saw one while hiking. our headlamps reflected in its eyes and we caught a good glimpse of it run ahead of us down the trail.

so i totally believe that rumor.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
i've seen a few coyotes at night in the pines south of chatsworth. we drove right up next to one and it just trotted on down the road for about 100 yards next to us before turning off into the woods. after that, we saw one while hiking. our headlamps reflected in its eyes and we caught a good glimpse of it run ahead of us down the trail.

so i totally believe that rumor.

There is a healthy coyote population but that doesn't mean they were shipped in.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Fishers! I had heard that these things are being spotted in the state, but I had no idea they are all the way down in Salem County. Do the state wildlife biologists know about this?

Not sure who knows about them being there, but i watched 2 of them rough housing with one another for about 10 mins last week, seen a few others here and there. Salem county has some amazing animals, the week before i saw 2 bald eagles eating what appeared to be a Canada goose.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Not sure who knows about them being there, but i watched 2 of them rough housing with one another for about 10 mins last week, seen a few others here and there. Salem county has some amazing animals, the week before i saw 2 bald eagles eating what appeared to be a Canada goose.

Wow, cool! I'll have to get down that way. What main body of woods supports the wildlife in that area?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
In all due respect I don't think what you seeing are fishers. They require massive habitat and are a big animal. However there are loads of otters down in salem and play in the way you desribed. A fisher is a big animal and full of piss and vinegar.....and like I said require large habitat not found in south jersey. I've seen them in central pa were they are rumored to be introduced to control the porcupine population.

As for the yotes......releasing 30 isn't going to do a whole lot.....they are all over the place anyway....I saw one on my spy cam in lawnside, nj....not exactly the wilderness.....those things are certainly growing at quick rate. Also I doubt the state would release yotes being that they will effect other populations such as pine snakes(protected), endangered bird species, etc.

Jeff, as for salem area def. worth a trip....it has a abundant amount of eagles, and other birds of prey. There is also a neat little track in salem county that looks very similar to the pine barrens....there is one spot in the burden hill preserve where you would swear you were in the pine barrens of ocean or burlington county.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
In all due respect I don't think what you seeing are fishers. They require massive habitat and are a big animal. However there are loads of otters down in salem and play in the way you desribed. A fisher is a big animal and full of piss and vinegar.....and like I said require large habitat not found in south jersey. I've seen them in central pa were they are rumored to be introduced to control the porcupine population.

As for the yotes......releasing 30 isn't going to do a whole lot.....they are all over the place anyway....I saw one on my spy cam in lawnside, nj....not exactly the wilderness.....those things are certainly growing at quick rate. Also I doubt the state would release yotes being that they will effect other populations such as pine snakes(protected), endangered bird species, etc.

Jeff, as for salem area def. worth a trip....it has a abundant amount of eagles, and other birds of prey. There is also a neat little track in salem county that looks very similar to the pine barrens....there is one spot in the burden hill preserve where you would swear you were in the pine barrens of ocean or burlington county.

Where i am seeing the fishers, coyotes, bald eagles and fox is a huge parcel of restricted land surronding the power plant, its not uncommon to see 10 and 12 point deer either.I am restricted from taking pictures on the property but ill see if i can find some off the grounds

The animals i see are much larger than an otter. I am not a wildlife expert by any means, how ever alot of the hunters down there have ID'd them as Fishers, but then again some of those same people have claimed to have seen bob cats in the port norris area of Southern NJ also, who knows.
http://www.baristanet.com/2007/04/wild_weird_new_jersey.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi how is everone doing tonite

Can you tell us about your family? Quite a history in those stones. I have visited the cemeteries where they are located, and especially like the Hillside Cemetery.

Any ownership in your family of the property at Maxwell?

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Aaron....otters are big too. Fishers are solitary and prefer different habitat than salem county.....they prefer more habitat that looks like the poconos or app. trail. The bobcats are certainly there though, right around Port Norris. I've seen one and have encountered tracks often.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Aaron....otters are big too. Fishers are solitary and prefer different habitat than salem county.....they prefer more habitat that looks like the poconos or app. trail. The bobcats are certainly there though, right around Port Norris. I've seen one and have encountered tracks often.

I thought the people telling me about bob cats where pulling my leg, thats awsome.

Ill also let them know about the fishers

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I frequently hike the Batona Trail and have seen coyotes on a few occasions and heard them on many occasions, particularly after dark. If you ever get out in the pines after a fresh snowstorm you can usually spot coyote tracks in the snow.

Can you tell us about your family? Quite a history in those stones. I have visited the cemeteries where they are located, and especially like the Hillside Cemetery.

Any ownership in your family of the property at Maxwell?

Guy

oh where do you want me to start.
I dont have any family who own property in Maxwell anymore, But at one time yes. My family was more from the Turtle creek road area. My great Grandfather was the first one actually to leave Wading River and Move to Farmington. My great great grandfather had 14 children and lived on the corner of 542 and Turtle creek. he was a retired sea captain. his sister was married to Maja (Towers) Leek and they at one time owned the Wading rive Tavern (Hotel).
He and my gr gr great grand father (William A. Maxwell Sr.) built the wading river schoolhouse on Turtle creek road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I figured it was a big and historical family. I see the gravestones everywhere. Thanks for the info.

Guy