Coyotes running wild.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Somebody informed me today that the state has started releasing coyotes into the Pine Barrens in hope that they go after and kill the deer. This same person said the coyotes were from Wyoming and Prudential Insurance was sponsoring this. The idea was to cut down on the amount of deer related accidents. I thought this was very interesting. The person said either 25 or 35 coyotes were to be released. Now I'm no expert on coyotes or deer population control but I wanted to see how others felt about this. I was told the coyotes were being released in the Atco/Waterford area along Jackson Road and the source is involved in Waterford politics.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
This same rumor surfaced last year in Middletown (Monmouth) where there were nightly sightings of coyotes. A few people were attacked including a todler. (This was all covered by most of the area network news stations from NYC). Only this rumor was that NWS Earle (US Navy) was releasing the coyotes to cut down on the deer population on their property. The navy denied it of course.
Pete

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My uncle's cousin's brother in law's sister's husband's grandfather told me the same thing. Go figure.
Actually, the most popular version is: The first few coyotes that were shot in NJ had collars on them indicating that they were from Texas!
The hunters supposedly tracked the collars to a man in Texas who was selling them to NJ Fish and Wildlife to control deer.
Sorry I got to run, the Tooth Fairy is coming to my house tonight.
:)

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i know for a fact that NJ fish and game relocated black beer from N. NJ to southern NJ. heard it straight from the mouth of someone in the NJ DEP. RE: the coyotes and deer.. i heard about 300 deer died this yr due to that blue tongue disease.. that should have cut the amt of deer a bit.. i heard hunting season next yr might be in jeopardy.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I think the story sounds fishy to me as well but that's what someone from Waterford Township City Council said to me and I thought I would pass it along. I agree that hunting is probably a better way to control deer population. Why I would start to believe politicians is beyond me? Haha

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
humm

Somebody informed me today that the state has started releasing coyotes into the Pine Barrens in hope that they go after and kill the deer. This same person said the coyotes were from Wyoming and Prudential Insurance was sponsoring this. The idea was to cut down on the amount of deer related accidents. I thought this was very interesting. The person said either 25 or 35 coyotes were to be released. Now I'm no expert on coyotes or deer population control but I wanted to see how others felt about this. I was told the coyotes were being released in the Atco/Waterford area along Jackson Road and the source is involved in Waterford politics.

I live near there, there doesn't seem to be any coyotes around. Tons of (big) Turkeys running around in large groups - do coyotes like turkey?

ed

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I live near there, there doesn't seem to be any coyotes around. Tons of (big) Turkeys running around in large groups - do coyotes like turkey?

ed
coyotes like any thing they can eat right down to your garbage, as for deer control, does the pines have a deer population that is out of control that needs control other then hunting, not in my part of the woods. as for being stocked by the state I doubt it maybe they relocated some. the coyotes do a good job of showing up on their own, the pine barrens is perfect habitat for them, they do not call them brush puppies for nothing.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
According to all the reputable sources I am aware of, coyotes have gradually colonized the northeast on their own, without any help from humans, except that humans destroyed the wolf populations in the area. I would be very interested to know of any scientific evidence that coyotes have an appreciable effect on the deer population. One local biologist told me that cars kill more deer than any coyote population could.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Several of my hunting buddies have blamed the poor deer seasons they've experienced on coyotes. But hunters and fishermen are notorious for blaming their lack of success on everything but theirselves. One of the basic principles of wildlife management is that prey populations control predator populations far more than the opposite. A healthy habitat supports a balance of predators and prey and the predators do not naturally wipe out their food source. Only man does that.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
With a deer herd numbering around 150,000 in NJ and a coyote population of about 3000, there is no great threat to the deer numbers. Hunters themselves harvest about 1/3 of the deer in the state annually. If predators and nature increase that number, it would probably be minimal. The size of the herd can withstand this, especially with their habitat decreasing yearly.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/deer/seminars/coyotes/

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I get to see coyotes on a near nightly basis at work in Salem County, Also tons of dear, foxes and fishers, good stuff