coywolves

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
could not find the article, to many to look through, the blue on white just kills my eyes. growing up in vermont coyotes were always called coydogs. my family lives about 5 miles from canada on the edge of the north east kingdom, my brother in law works in a local lumber yard with a lot of guys that spend a lot of time in the woods and have seen very large coyotes that look more like a wolf. they say wolf are moving in from canada and breeding with the coyotes just like the coyotes bred with dogs in the past. when I was in VT last nov. for deer season I saw a very large coyote with black and grey coloration that looked kind of wolf like, about 5 minutes after he was out of sight he let out a howl, the hair on my neck stood up, never been that close to a howling coyote, kind of cool. are you from VT or do you spend time up there?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
thank you, very good article. I have family that have shot coyotes in VT that have went over 50 lbs. I guess the coydog thing was just made up at one time. I have family that live in caladonia county VT. this is their local paper.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hewey said:
thank you, very good article. I have family that have shot coyotes in VT that have went over 50 lbs. I guess the coydog thing was just made up at one time. I have family that live in caladonia county VT. this is their local paper.

I have been there almost every year since I was 10 except I stay about 30 miles north in Orleans County just above St. Johnsbury. I buy my fishing license in Glover where the animal was shot. I have never heard the cry of a wolf on my visits, but have seen a Bear and just missed a moose by a few seconds I was told.

If I go this year I will ask in Glover at the store there about this animal.

Great article...thanks.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was surprised by this statement. I did not know this:

Eastern coyotes are larger and heavier at 32 to 38 pounds than western coyotes at 22 to 30 pounds

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
TeeGate said:
I have been there almost every year since I was 10 except I stay about 30 miles north in Orleans County just above St. Johnsbury. I buy my fishing license in Glover where the animal was shot. I have never heard the cry of a wolf on my visits, but have seen a Bear and just missed a moose by a few seconds I was told.

If I go this year I will ask in Glover at the store there about this animal.

Great article...thanks.

Guy
my mom lives in westfield in orleans county, very wild country, my stepdad hit a bear on rt. 242 along with a few very large deer, one of wich absolutely tore a mazda 626 apart, not like the 100 lbs. jersey deer. I have only seen one bear and that was in souther vt. seen mostly cow moose but saw a bull on rt. 58 in Irasburg so large that a grow man could have layed in the palms of his antlers. I think of the pines as the noth east kingdom of nj. The coyotes in her area would always get her turkeys, chickens and geese wich were all free range so I would say she was asking them to dinner, my sister also lost a cat to the coyotes.