Crabbing

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I took the kids crabbing at Green Street in Tuckerton. We only caught a few spider crabs. We packed up and tried seven bridges. All the bridges were crowded so we tried one of the side streams for a short time. No luck at all. I was still happy to take the kids to see it, seven bridges was one of my favorite spots as a kid. The green heads are still just as bad as I remembered them.

Lorun

Oct 25, 2006
I took the kids crabbing at Green Street in Tuckerton. We only caught a few spider crabs. We packed up and tried seven bridges. All the bridges were crowded so we tried one of the side streams for a short time. No luck at all. I was still happy to take the kids to see it, seven bridges was one of my favorite spots as a kid. The green heads are still just as bad as I remembered them.

Lorun

I kept my boat at Cap't Mikes from 84 to 06, i never fished the bay because of the green heads, i figured after working all week, there was no way enjoyment could be had swatting greenheads and gnats all day, i didn't care how good the fishing was in the bay.

I am glad you and the kids had a great day today though, except for no crabs. :D

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I went to another place I think it was dock street in Tuckerton and got 1 so my crabbing luck/skills are not good. I can't remember ever not getting a basketfull when I was younger. Maybe it is just selective memory.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I took the kids out (by boat) to the creeks around Tuckerton twice last month. Two dozen the first time and slightly less the last time. Its great - tie some bait on, have a beer and let the kids do the rest. The best part is that they don't really like to eat them that much! Oh, and a little tip - as a kid we always used to boil them first then clean them. This process is really messy and you end up washing off alot of the spices along the way. If you haven't done it before, try cleaning them first. The spices get into the meat and the crabs are way more flavorful.

Rich

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Crabs? I found one in the ocean today. With my foot. Ow.

I was swimming this weekend at Normandy beach, a little north of seaside. The water was very cold, like, 'I wonder if my genitals will ever come out of my abdominal cavity again', kind of cold. But there was no way I was going to let the 11 year old girl already swimming out there show me up, so I bit the bullet and went out.

Anyway, the reason I brought this up is because my brother in law and I are out there talking and the water is really, really clear and as the surf was receeding I looked down and saw a 4' fish (approx.) go right past my right leg toward open water. He was right along the bottom and I am pretty certain from it's movement that it was not a blue or stripper. So I'm thinking it was a sand shark.

kind of neat and a little alarming at the same time huh?

Jeff

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Jeff, I spent my weekend floating in the ocean, too. I thought it was perfect, I couldn't get out. :) I think I spent three hours on Sunday just beyond the giant surf. I was all pruney.
I grew up in Normandy Beach, (well, the summers anyway), we had a house on the ocean block of 3rd ave. I miss that place. We had a cool old log cabin that we all loved. Someone bought it about 2 years ago and tore it down and replaced it with a gigantic house. I was there for the first time this weekend, it made me very sad.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I went out of 7 bridges road last month and got 34 keepers on chicken necks. This past Sunday, went to Brielle on the Manasquan river and only 1 keeper fluke and about 15 throwbacks, plenty of crabs on my bait though. The Navesink river is where the action is, almost everytime I go I bring home close to a full bushel of meaty 5-7 inch crabs. I just bought a boat and am planning a trip on monday if the weather holds.