Cranberry Trail - Brendan Byrne

Did a loop on the Cranberry Trail from the station to Pakim Pond, then came back by way of the Batona Trail. My favorite part of the Cranberry Trail was definitely the cedar swamp along the road, I always love a good cedar swamp. Overall, it was really well marked, had some nice interpretive signs, and was nice, easy, level walking.

We had lunch at Pakim Pond, which was great because had it all to ourselves at 10:30 in the morning on a Monday. Then we came back on the Batona. That stretch of the Batona is nothing special, but it has a few hills that are fun to go up and down. If we had a little more time, we would have gone the tiny bit more on to the Lebanon Fire Tower, maybe next time.

Added the information to the list:

http://southjerseytrails.wordpress....ail-brendan-byrne-state-forest-new-lisbon-nj/

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
This is a good time of the year to hike the Cranberry Trail because in about eight weeks there will be so many deer flies on that trail you might get picked up and carried away. ;)

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Nice pictures and a great report. I haven't been there in years. By the way, I really loved the nap photo.

Tell me that you're going to Blueberry Hill.

In Gibbsboro? I did that a lot a few years ago when I used to babysit, as I'd take the kids there to run around instead of having them watch tv all day. Just did it last Tuesday again, they've been doing a lot of paving back there. I have to do the write up still. I can't find any maps of the trails, so I'll have to do it directly (instead of wandering through the woods looking for the abandoned car I remember being back there) so I can get a proper route on my gps ap.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Mike,

The last time I was there, a stretch of the Batona Trail between the orange and cranberry trails (near the terminus at Pakim Pond) was pretty overgrown-is that still the case?