Croc sighting reported in Haddonfield

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I would say depending on the size of the trap they could be for snappers. If the river was moving fast I doubt they were for spotteds....but other turtles is a very real possibility and illegal to my knowledge. if you guys ever see anything suspicious out there report it. I know in the past greenwood wma has been poached alot for turtles, especially spotteds. Here is the hotline if you see illegal activity such as traps, collecting of any sort, etc, 1 800 222 0456, you get a reward if they catch someone. Normally people with good intentions just have cameras and no buckets, nets, or snake hooks, look out for those sort of things.
Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would say depending on the size of the trap they could be for snappers. If the river was moving fast I doubt they were for spotteds....but other turtles is a very real possibility and illegal to my knowledge. if you guys ever see anything suspicious out there report it. I know in the past greenwood wma has been poached alot for turtles, especially spotteds. Here is the hotline if you see illegal activity such as traps, collecting of any sort, etc, 1 800 222 0456, you get a reward if they catch someone. Normally people with good intentions just have cameras and no buckets, nets, or snake hooks, look out for those sort of things.
Chris

Trapping snappers is NOT illegal and something that goes on a lot around here.
It is covered under a NJ fishing license and they can be trapped or caught by hook and line, which I have done. I would use bluefish hooks with wire leaders and half-dead sunnies for bait.
The only changes to the snappering regs in a long time has been closing the season from April 31 into June during the egg laying period. This occurred about 15 years ago.
I used to gig frogs with my kids in the late 80's and the state put a short close on that season too during the same time period.
I am also a licensed trapper in NJ but that only covers furbearers.
Page 10 of the link below covers snappers and frogs.
Scott
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2007/digfsh07-regs.pdf

Oct 25, 2006
Head start programs contribute as you said for the good,there is also a big demand for bear paws in asia,another delicacy,in the city, raids keep going on all the time in chinatown catching restaurants with them in their fridges.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I meant to infer trapping snappers was legal, but trapping others was illegal to my knowledge.

The interpretation of game regulations in NJ uses the presumptive principle of law.
That is, if it is not specifically permitted to take the animal, then it is presumed to be prohibited.
Since snappers are the only turtle species addresssed in the game laws, it is presumed that the taking of all others is prohibited.
Scott