Crop circles?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Ok, I'm at a loss on this one. As I was walking by I thought it looked like someone set down a 5 gallon bucket. I turned around and the only prints were my own. Why would this be spinning. I'm thinking its from underground but I didn't see much evidence of that either.
image.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
www.researchgate.net
The technical term is "scratch circles." A colleague wrote about them. The abstract says, "The present paper provides a report on the formation of scratch circles on the drift sands during the deposition and deflation phases of sand dune formation. Observations were carried out on dune fields in western Finland, central and southwestern Sweden."

Seppälä M. 1972. Some remarks on the formation of scratch circles on wind-blown sand. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland. 44: 131–132

Matti, now retired, wrote the only English-language monograph on cold climate dunes. It is a favorite book of mine.

Seppälä M. 2004. Wind as a Geomorphic Agent in Cold Climates. Studies in Polar Research,Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. 358 pp.

S-M