Crosshairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I know this isn't a political site but, seeing as this site has many people who read maps and a few surveyors, I wanted to share an observation:
This morning, while watching the news and listening to commentary about the tragic events in Tucson, I was treated to a Palin staffer's explaination to the "Crosshair" map she has on her website. They supposedly are the same markings a surveyor would put on a map. They weren't really crosshairs. Really staffer???? Do you really think we are that stupid? My name isn't Palin. Not once did it cross my mind that those were surveyor markings on that map. I only surveyed for nearly 25 years.
I'm not completely blaming her for these events. This guy is nuts who did this. In the same vein, she doesn't get completely absolved for this either. She's irresponsible and in my opinion, she has some of the blood of those victims on her hands. Sorry for the rant but the weak attempt to explain her crosshair map made me very angry.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I know this isn't a political site but, seeing as this site has many people who read maps and a few surveyors, I wanted to share an observation:
This morning, while watching the news and listening to commentary about the tragic events in Tucson, I was treated to a Palin staffer's explaination to the "Crosshair" map she has on her website. They supposedly are the same markings a surveyor would put on a map. They weren't really crosshairs. Really staffer???? Do you really think we are that stupid? My name isn't Palin. Not once did it cross my mind that those were surveyor markings on that map. I only surveyed for nearly 25 years.
I'm not completely blaming her for these events. This guy is nuts who did this. In the same vein, she doesn't get completely absolved for this either. She's irresponsible and in my opinion, she has some of the blood of those victims on her hands. Sorry for the rant but the weak attempt to explain her crosshair map made me very angry.

Before you start pointing fingers here's a link to what the democrates did when Bush was running for president. Let's not attack one side.

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?contentid=253055&kaid=127&subid=171

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What angers me most about this tradgedy, is that for almost all these 'loner' atrocities, there were warnings that were not acted upon by the powers that be, his parents, teachers or the individuals that knew the 'loner'. For whatever reason; political correctness, fear, love, friendship, whatever, this person did not get the help he sorely needed. This tradgedy was no political statement, just the culmination of a sick persons delusionary thinking, which was noted by many, acted upon by none.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
What angers me most about this tradgedy, is that for almost all these 'loner' atrocities, there were warnings that were not acted upon by the powers that be, his parents, teachers or the individuals that knew the 'loner'. For whatever reason; political correctness, fear, love, friendship, whatever, this person did not get the help he sorely needed. This tradgedy was no political statement, just the culmination of a sick persons delusionary thinking, which was noted by many, acted upon by none.

Excellent point!

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Check out this Hooded Merganser I shot today.

5344441450_36c4d63bcd_b.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ

You can't be serious. I find it amazing how the Palin haters will do anything and everything to tie bad-things to them. I see this thread serving not much good at all on this board. I don't come to this board to get upset or freaked-out, especially due to politics and haters. I get that from other message boards I frequent.

How dare you bring your political views into this, simply to show your hate for Palin.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
You can't be serious. I find it amazing how the Palin haters will do anything and everything to tie bad-things to them. I see this thread serving not much good at all on this board. I don't come to this board to get upset or freaked-out, especially due to politics and haters. I get that from other message boards I frequent.

How dare you bring your political views into this, simply to show your hate for Palin.

My apologies. You're right. I was angry at the explaination and it was definitely a knee-jerk reaction. Once again, I apologize. This is not the place for this crap.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

I've been p/o'd about this whole thing, but I haven't written about it or discussed it with anyone until now. 46er, I don't mean to pick on you, but there are two things about this that get me, beyond the obvious loss of life and outrage to civilization, and you touched on one of them.

This whole cultural tendency toward wallowing in hindsight we've developed is not a good thing. Nobody prevented this thing because as long as the guy was on the street and had access to a weapon it couldn't be prevented. Do we start locking up people who have weird beliefs and make other people uncomfortable? There are a couple thousand of them on the streets of Manhattan and Philly right now that would easily strike you as being every bit as batshit as this Loughner guy. Take away all the guns? He could have used a knife, a car, whatever. Bad things happen, and when there are 6 billion humans if even an infinitesimal percentage have the potential to be homicidal maniacs it's still a boatload of assholes.

Which leads to the second thing that cranks my starter, which is the rush on both sides of the political aisle to read some sort of farking tea leaves out of this tragedy. Obama calling for civil discourse as if the actions of one lunatic, whose ravings make the Heaven's Gate cult seem like a quilting club, say something deep and meaningful about our discourse. I wish some of these people had lived through the middle-1800's in the midwest, then they could talk about political discourse and have something to say. It's ridiculous.

Those poor people got struck by lightning, and it's very damn sad. Their having been so struck says nothing about anything, but our reaction to it says a lot about everything.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You lost me there Mark.

He played this tragedy as if it were some sort of canary in our civil coalmine. It's outrageous, insulting, and deserving of nothing but scorn. When I need someone to heap calumny on my country I can get George Soros, and Mahmood Ahmadimwit for free. I don't even have to pay for a big house for them to live in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lets all think of post #6 or we may see a deep 6. :D

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice try Guy. I guess this subject is our new "ATV thread". At least ATV's have something to do with the pines. Why can't you guys let it go and move the discussion to some political website? The only purpose it will serve is getting people mad at each other who would otherwise enjoy discussing the pines. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.