Crowley's Landing boat ramp Closed!

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Crowley's Landing boat ramp is closed for the season and needs repairs. Wharton SF called me to inform me and that I will get partial Refund on my Boat ramp permit.
Does anyone know of another public boat ramp near crowleys landing that I can launch my boat from. I go out on the Mullica 2-4 times a month and have never launched anywhere but Crowley's
Thanx
Doug

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There is also the free ramp a bit downstream at Amasa Landing at the mouth of the Bass River. A 4x4 comes in handy on that ramp however (don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is also the free ramp a bit downstream at Amasa Landing at the mouth of the Bass River. A 4x4 comes in handy on that ramp however (don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:)

How do you know? :D :smug:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What size boat and how much do you draw?
Lower Bank is very bad at low tide, unless you have a shallow draft boat and you can pull the motor up and put of the water.
I never used Crowley's because of the always questionable condition of the ramp and its location in the River which puts you immediately cross-current.

Chestnut Neck is the best place on the River to launch a substantial sized boat but you will be a good ways down from your usual haunts.

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
I only have a 14 ft alum semi-v side console so I don't need much water. I guess I will head down without my boat wed and check out some of the ramps and prices.

slowpaddler

Apr 12, 2014
I think we need to reach out to the state to find out what the plans are. the fencing off of the launch is a little nutty--the ramp looks fine, same as it ever was, maybe the drop off at the bottom is compromised? I don't know why it can't be open to kayakers and other paddlers, at the very least. perhaps we need to organize a "Friends of Crowley's Landing" to help fund whatever fixes need to be made? the fence the park service erected looks a little too permanent. It's a shame, of all the things our crazy high taxes in this state go for, I don't mind paying for park service needs. this is everybody's resource. I can imagine that the little shops in Nescoe, the gas station, the liquor store, the convenience store, are suffering because of the closure of this ramp.

slowpaddler

Apr 12, 2014
poked around Crowley's today. yea, the ramp has a hole in it (close to the edge of it-underwater)..am guessing this is the hole that some dude broke his foot in. also, steep steep drop off at the end of the ramp (end of ramp is marked). probably this is how some dude broke the axel on his boat trailer? anyway, word is that because of these two incidences the ramp is closed. also, it seems there might be a project in the works for $3mil of improvements? for docks and a new ramp and etc??WTF?? it would cost a helluva lot less to just fix the damn ramp so we could all use it. do we really need $3mil worth of improvements that will surely drive up the cost for all of us??? still hafta fact check on this..

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
...Is that the same hole from when I was ten, like forty years ago?

Yep.
This not a good location for a ramp and it never will be. The cross-current constantly exposes and undermines the toe of the ramp.

Since the entire park is based around the boat access the answer is not to abandon the ramp completely.
The ramp needs to be pulled further landward with bulkheaded sides so that the ramp area is located in what would essentially function as a stilling well. The only flow over the ramp would be the ebb and flow of the tide up and down the face.
That is how you engineer around a hard cross-current flow design constraint.

Reactions: Ben Ruset