Cumberland County Exploring

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's pretty unpopular, but I don't support the trout stocking program in NJ for the same reasons.

Hatchery raised trout, which as a species need cool, well oxygenated water, are dumped by the thousands into shallow lakes and ponds throughout South Jersey that can't support a breeding population. If they are not caught by June, they become floaters.

It is again, put and take management and is designed to please the masses.
A tremendous amount of Fish and Wildlife money goes into the the hatcheries and trout production that could be better spent on more beneficial long term improvements.

Stocking in deep or fast running Northwest Jersey water bodies is a lot more sensible but if the program was curtailed to do just that, there would be a South Jersey revolt.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's pretty unpopular, but I don't support the trout stocking program in NJ for the same reasons.

Hatchery raised trout, which as a species need cool, well oxygenated water, are dumped by the thousands into shallow lakes and ponds throughout South Jersey that can't support a breeding population. If they are not caught by June, they become floaters.

It is again, put and take management and is designed to please the masses.
A tremendous amount of Fish and Wildlife money goes into the the hatcheries and trout production that could be better spent on more beneficial long term improvements.

Stocking in deep or fast running Northwest Jersey water bodies is a lot more sensible but if the program was curtailed to do just that, there would be a South Jersey revolt.

I vote we stock pickerel,their natural:)
seriously I have noticed since a kid the quail have disappeared.I heard one last summer.the first in probably 15 years.Why have they disappeared?The turkeys are doing great.I have came up on eggs,hatchling and abandoned nests so they are reproducing.They appear to be very stupid and unshy which is not natural for wild turkeys.you would think after a generation or two the shyness would return.
on another note I've always been for the restocking of endangered reptiles but no one seems to want to do it.Afraid of diluting natural blood lines.well when the natural bloodline is gone maybe we can watch them on Animal Planet.I think you'd have to take the eggs and put them out before hatching so they would implant on that area.For live birthing snakes they would have to be released right before giving birth so the young would implant there,maybe in a man made den?
I consider the game reserves nothing but deer farms and turkey ranches.I'm really surprised their not killing the coyotes as predator control.Redneck i think you may be onto something.I always wondered why they put trout here.I know they stock in wv and the fish actually live on but not here.this is bass and pickerel water here.Pickerel is real good if you know how to filet the bones out.
Al

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
here are also a few iron markers in mount pleasant cemetery in millville of which i was unaware till one day looking for some long lost ancestors i discovered them completely by chance.I think their was five of them.
Al

Thanks for the heads up Manamuskin. I think those things are really neat and are quite an interesting way to be reminded of a bygone era of a whole different industry.

Kevin