Cycle racing in the Pines

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Came across this in my research. I'll spare you the photos:

The Pine Barrens 300 ride took place last weekend (October 11-12) [08] near Hammonton, New Jersey, with over 100+ participants of which about a third were on BMW bikes . . . This year the sand was deeper than ever at over 12 inches in some areas, making some of the riding quite challenging, as the event was specially designed for adventure bikes 500cc and over . . . with self-guided GPS tours in areas of the Pine Barrens where motorcycles aren't always allowed. As the name implies, the route was 300 miles - which may not sound like much, but after picking up a bike a dozen times a day, believe me, it's a marathon.

What does anyone think about bike marathons like this? What's the impact on the ecosystem? Do any of you have bikes? --G

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I don't know exactly what the impact of 100+ motorcycles, at once, in the pine barrens, would be, but I'd venture to say it can't be good. Especially if they're "in areas motorcycles aren't allowed". That tells me some foilage definetly got ruined, at the least. I can only imagine what a self guided tour did for the ecosystem. Two feet destroy things, now there's 2 wheels destroying it. Believe me, I'm not bashing the event. I think it is pretty neat, but atleast have a knowledgable person guide the tour.
I used to have Harley's. I always wanted a dual sport to go back in the woods with. Knowing what I've learned from this site though, if I ever do (which I doubt) get a dual sport, I'll stick to the dirt/sand roads and be legal about the whole thing. Why ruin it for others to enjoy??

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Came across this in my research. I'll spare you the photos:

The Pine Barrens 300 ride took place last weekend (October 11-12) [08] near Hammonton, New Jersey, with over 100+ participants of which about a third were on BMW bikes . . . This year the sand was deeper than ever at over 12 inches in some areas, making some of the riding quite challenging, as the event was specially designed for adventure bikes 500cc and over . . . with self-guided GPS tours in areas of the Pine Barrens where motorcycles aren't always allowed. As the name implies, the route was 300 miles - which may not sound like much, but after picking up a bike a dozen times a day, believe me, it's a marathon.

What does anyone think about bike marathons like this? What's the impact on the ecosystem? Do any of you have bikes? --G

They have been doing this for years. Its 100% legal and alot of us locals bordering the woods enjoy to watch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All you have to do is look at the 1931 aerial and see that the pines were a mess 80 years ago and you would not even know that now. All the motorcycles in the world could ride around the pines for a week and in 35 years it would only be a memory. It is not the motorcycles we have to worry about, it is the homes and business that are being built. I welcome the rider who follows the law, and wish them the best.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
All you have to do is look at the 1931 aerial and see that the pines were a mess 80 years ago and you would not even know that now. All the motorcycles in the world could ride around the pines for a week and in 35 years it would only be a memory. It is not the motorcycles we have to worry about, it is the homes and business that are being built. I welcome the rider who follows the law, and wish them the best.

Guy

That is the truth. Well stated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
After reading thru their web site and their past trips & photo's, I see no problem with the event or the riders, it looks very well organized. If I rode a bike, it looks like it would be a fun 2 days. Very similar to the Pine Barrens Express, just minus 2 wheels and 1 day.

http://www.pinebarrens500.org/

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I always wanted a dual sport to go back in the woods with. Knowing what I've learned from this site though, if I ever do (which I doubt) get a dual sport, I'll stick to the dirt/sand roads and be legal about the whole thing. Why ruin it for others to enjoy??

I use a dual sport or a 4x4 for most of my Pine Barrens exploring and do not damage the roads any more than a ranger would do in his Jeep. It is totally possible to drive either vehicle type without doing damage, although if you just don't give a damn, either will chew up the dirt. If you know how and when to pump the peddle or to crank the throttle, there is no problem.
The damage we have all seen is caused by unnecessary but intentional radical driving, on 2 wheels or 4. In some cases people are just ignorant of the damage they are doing, in other cases they just don't give a damn.
So go get the Dual Sport and have fun while getting 50 or 60 mpg.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I guess the point I was trying to make was, that I don't have a problem with the event as long as the riders stay on the designated roads, trails what have you. It does sound like a pretty cool event, and I'd love to watch it if they do it again.

Jack Splash

Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for your comments everyone.

I don't know exactly what the impact of 100+ motorcycles, at once, in the pine barrens, would be, but I'd venture to say it can't be good. Especially if they're "in areas motorcycles aren't allowed". That tells me some foilage definetly got ruined, at the least. I can only imagine what a self guided tour did for the ecosystem. Two feet destroy things, now there's 2 wheels destroying it. Believe me, I'm not bashing the event. I think it is pretty neat, but atleast have a knowledgable person guide the tour.
I used to have Harley's. I always wanted a dual sport to go back in the woods with. Knowing what I've learned from this site though, if I ever do (which I doubt) get a dual sport, I'll stick to the dirt/sand roads and be legal about the whole thing. Why ruin it for others to enjoy??

Hey: I'm the organizer of the Pine Barrens 300 / 500 events, my crew and I do everything we can to make the event 100% legal.

This is from the entry setion of the website.

The event is limited to 100 riders and all motorcycles must be 100 % street legal, with insurance, registration and inspection. AMA membership is required. The intented purpose of the PB500 is to provide an event for the larger displacement, adventure and dual sport style motorcycle's. This is the only event on the east coast designed to challenge experienced riders on big dirt bikes. It is not a "Dual Sport" or "Trail Ride". Please do not enter this event on an enduro or hare scrambles machine.

There will be a tech inspection and sound check (98db) which must be passed before you will be allowed to start the event. DOT Knobbie Tires and a USFS approved exhust pipe are also required. Four stroke motors only. A decal will be issued to the machines that pass the tests, that will allow entry into the Wildlife Management Area's which are usually off-limits to typical motorcycle events. Park Rangers will be looking for the decals within the WMA's. We have promised the Fish and Game managers only 100% street legal machines will be allowed to enter the PB500. Please don't ruin a good thing by trying to enter on a machine that dosen't fit the requirements. If you want to ride your dirt bike, enter some of the 40 events on the ECEA schedule.

An "Enduro bike" that has been fittied with a dual sport kit may enter, but a real effort must be made to be legal, and have a state inspection sticker and it must also pass the tech inspections.The route will go through large and small towns and residential area's so you must be street legal and quiet.

The quote:

but I'd venture to say it can't be good. Especially if they're "in areas motorcycles aren't allowed". That tells me some foilage definetly got ruined, at the least.

Needs to be understood better. We are given premission by the Fish and Wildlife commission to enter the wildlife management area's, and ride on the dirt roads, the same roads the hunters use to get into the forests. We only pass thru these areas. In the state forests we use some firecuts, which we have premission from the NJ Pine Lands Commission to use. We submit our route in GPS format to Natural Lands Management in Trenton and pay over $1500 in permit fees. We strive to do this completly legal.

The permit process video is just a sarcastic parody of how some of the offroad community react to conservation efforts. You gotta admit, it's pretty funny.

Anyway, I hope this clears up a few things.

Thanks
Jack

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good for you Jack Splash! :dance: You should post the event day(s) and route here when you know them, so someone who may want to attend would be able to. Even if just a spectator.

Guy