Dangerous Things

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I never thought my love of crabbing would ever be threatened by anything. Actually it still isn't.
Contracting this horrible bacterial disease seems to be a very remote possibility.

I drove through Shell Pile and Bivalve (along the Maurice directly across from Matts Landing) last winter and my car reeked of rancid clams/oyster/mussels/scallops for 3 days. I washed it and took it through a car wash to get rid of the smell. There is a lot of processing that goes on in that area. I wonder if the organic remains and leftovers are just flushed into the Maurice and turn into a toxic soup of bacteria. The sand and mud along the Maurice reeks around there, specifically in Shell Pile/Bivalve along the Maurice.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I drove through Shell Pile and Bivalve (along the Maurice directly across from Matts Landing) last winter and my car reeked of rancid clams/oyster/mussels/scallops for 3 days. I washed it and took it through a car wash to get rid of the smell. There is a lot of processing that goes on in that area. I wonder if the organic remains and leftovers are just flushed into the Maurice and turn into a toxic soup of bacteria. The sand and mud along the Maurice reeks around there, specifically in Shell Pile/Bivalve along the Maurice.
Thats a good point.Where this disease was contracted is exactly across the river from Shell Pile/Bivavlve and yes that area does stink to high heaven.If they do flush it into the river it could get into the mudflats across the river and infect marsh life that people are eating like crabs and shell fish.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never thought my love of crabbing would ever be threatened by anything. Actually it still isn't.

Have you never even gotten clam digger's itch from all that you do Scott? It's amazing you've gotten away with even that. I've always been a little shy of wading in bay water. It just seems a likely harbor for all kinds of weirdness. Now you have that dime-sized jelly fish to worry about.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Have you never even gotten clam digger's itch from all that you do Scott? It's amazing you've gotten away with even that. I've always been a little shy of wading in bay water. It just seems a likely harbor for all kinds of weirdness. Now you have that dime-sized jelly fish to worry about.

Yes I have Bob ! I call them Sea Chiggers, even though I know they are larval flatworm bites. I usually wear my Lacrosse boots or wetsuit boots. The area that we clam is loaded with snails and they are a Schistosoma cercariae host. The first time I got them I was losing my mind because I couldn't figure out how I got chiggers all over my feet when I hadn't been in the woods for a couple days.

I was yelling at Dottie last week for floating around for three hours in a lagoon in Mystic Islands at a friends house. Lots of bacteria in those waters for sure with all the yard and street runoff. I stayed on land and drank ice cold beer which was much smarter.

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here's more good news;

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 10, 2018

Lawrence Hajna (609) 292-2994

DEP EXTENDS RECREATIONAL ADVISORY ON CLINGING JELLYFISH TO ENTIRE BARNEGAT BAY

(18/P59) TRENTON - Clinging jellyfish, a nonnative species with a powerful sting, have been confirmed in the north-central region of Barnegat Bay, prompting the Department of Environmental Protection to expand a recreational-use advisory to the entire bay.

The advisory follows advisories the DEP previously issued for recreational users of northern Barnegat Bay, the Metedeconk River in Ocean County and the Shrewsbury and Manasquan rivers in Monmouth County.

About 40 clinging jellyfish were confirmed in north-central Barnegat Bay on Monday - at Jonny Allens Cove on the bayside of Island Beach State Park and in eelgrass beds on the north side of Tices Shoal, a popular boating and watercraft area on the bay side of the park.

The jellyfish collected in both areas were in varying stages of maturation.

The clinging jellyfish is not known to inhabit ocean beaches or other sandy areas but tends to attach itself to submerged sea grass and algae in back bays and estuaries, areas not heavily used for swimming.
Recreational users of the bay, including those using the popular Tices Shoal area, are advised to be vigilant to the possible presence of clinging jellyfish. Clinging jellyfish stings can produce severe pain, muscle cramping and other localized symptoms. In some individuals, stings can result in hospitalization.

In Barnegat Bay, beds of sea grass can provide ideal habitat for clinging jellyfish, which are very small and hard to see in the water. The clinging jellyfish ranges from the size of a dime to about the size of a quarter. It has a distinctive red, orange or violet cross across its middle.

The DEP encourages the public to use common sense and caution in areas where jellyfish are suspected. Anyone wading through these areas, especially near sea grass, should wear boots or waders to protect themselves.

The clinging jellyfish was first confirmed in New Jersey in 2016 in the Manasquan River at the Point Pleasant Canal. The DEP is working in partnership with Montclair State University to continue clinging jellyfish surveys in the bay.

If stung by a clinging jellyfish:
* Apply white vinegar to the affected area to immobilize any remaining stinging cells.
* Rinse the area with salt water and remove any remaining tentacle materials using gloves or a thick towel.
* A hot compress or cold pack can then be applied to alleviate pain.
* If symptoms persist or pain increases instead of subsiding, seek prompt medical attention.

People are advised against trying to capture clinging jellyfish. Take a photograph if possible and send it to Dr. Paul Bologna at bolognap@mail.montclair.edu or Joseph Bilinski at joseph.bilinski@dep.nj.gov along with location information.
For a fact sheet on clinging jellyfish, visit www.nj.gov/dep/docs/clinging-jellyfish-factsheet.pdf

For a PowerPoint presentation on DEP clinging jellyfish research, visit www.nj.gov/dep/docs/clinging-jellyfish-distribution.pdf

###

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This message has been sent by the New Jersey Department of
Environmental Protection. To unsubscribe from this list, please go
to:
http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/unsub.htm

no_photo.png

Click here to Reply, Reply to all, or Forward

Reactions: Wick

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was yelling at Dottie last week for floating around for three hours in a lagoon in Mystic Islands at a friends house. Lots of bacteria in those waters for sure with all the yard and street runoff. I stayed on land and drank ice cold beer which was much smarter.

She is a brave person. Might consider putting one of these in the truck bed.
MakeThumbnail.aspx

There is a reason the DEP does not test lagoon water. It's getting to the point boats won't need bottom paint. Might even be there already. ;)

https://www.njbeaches.org/

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I used to swim regularly in the lagoons behind Ocean City when I was a young teen. My sister dated a guy who had a house on a lagoon and almost everyone had a swim ladder on their docks. It wasn't very nice then and I would never do it now.

Reactions: 46er

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
So if Tices Shoal is soon to over run with undesirables, Will the area known as party Island across from Ole Barney on the backside of ISBP be safe? The water is definitely colder and saltier.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Yes I have Bob ! I call them Sea Chiggers, even though I know they are larval flatworm bites. I usually wear my Lacrosse boots or wetsuit boots. The area that we clam is loaded with snails and they are a Schistosoma cercariae host. The first time I got them I was losing my mind because I couldn't figure out how I got chiggers all over my feet when I hadn't been in the woods for a couple days.

In Waretown we call them Sea Lice and they are usually close to shore. We don't eat any of the clams close to shore from June to October. Pick you clams at one of the island located further from the shoe line. These are islands created from the dredge spoils.