Daughter's first on river

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Made it a date for today to take my ten year old Layne out for first on river.
Mullica of course. Nice & simple. My cousin went yakkin' along with us. He was pleased as he hasn't been out in a while. Moving water was very different for her from Lakes, ponds, bogs and such. She got to see as well just how it's not all cake & ice cream circumventing obstacles. The day was with us as it hopefully was for many of you. Layne turned out to be a trooper on a paddle. She'll feel that tomorrow. We both got home tired, cleaned up and crashed on the couch to a movie after dinner.
Great day with a cool chick!

G.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
LARGO said:
Made it a date for today to take my ten year old Layne out for first on river.
Mullica of course. Nice & simple. ... The day was with us as it hopefully was for many of you. Layne turned out to be a trooper on a paddle. She'll feel that tomorrow. We both got home tired, cleaned up and crashed on the couch to a movie after dinner.
Great day with a cool chick!

G.

LARGO,

That's "quality time," both for you and your daughter. One of the things that impresses me the most about the membership of this site is the number of members who include their children in their activities. This is the way children are supposed to be raised and treated. If they are not so "keen" about such "family activities" now, when they are much older they will reflect back on these times... I know, I do!

Today is Fathers' Day: I dearly miss my father --- and our trips in the woods. "You better get ready, if you're going with me!" he'd say, and then we'd pile into his 1934 Model A for a trip on the back roads around Munion Field --- or on "The Reservation," or to the bogs at Stafford Forge or Chatsworth. Invariably, we'd stop at a "gunning club" and roast potatoes, hot dogs and corn. "Time" has claimed my father, but it cannot "claim" my memories of the really great "quality time" I got to spend with him!

ebsi

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
George,

It is nice to see that you had a great day in the pines with your daughter. I hope to read another report one day on her second big trip. Thanks for sharing that!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ebsi2001 said:
LARGO,

That's "quality time," both for you and your daughter. One of the things that impresses me the most about the membership of this site is the number of members who include their children in their activities. This is the way children are supposed to be raised and treated. If they are not so "keen" about such "family activities" now, when they are much older they will reflect back on these times... I know, I do!

Today is Fathers' Day: I dearly miss my father --- and our trips in the woods. "You better get ready, if you're going with me!" he'd say, and then we'd pile into his 1934 Model A for a trip on the back roads around Munion Field --- or on "The Reservation," or to the bogs at Stafford Forge or Chatsworth. Invariably, we'd stop at a "gunning club" and roast potatoes, hot dogs and corn. "Time" has claimed my father, but it cannot "claim" my memories of the really great "quality time" I got to spend with him!
ebsi

Great post EBSi.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
WAMBA said:
this makes me wish my parents didn't absolutely hate the outdoors :(

The important thing is that your kids can't say the same about you. If you make that happen nothing else matters.

Guy

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Fathers' Day and Bonding

WAMBA said:
this makes me wish my parents didn't absolutely hate the outdoors :(

WAMBA,

The "great outdoors" is NOT the important part --- spending time with your children IS! So, don't feel sad. "Quality Time" can be had by one and all --- even if it's a game of "Parchesi" or "Uno" --- or "scrapbooking," making a really "great" pizza, or fixing the car, painting the house, planting and caring for a garden --- a day trip somewhere... "Bonding" and "learning" go hand--in--hand. It's the "CLOSENESS" that's important, NOT the setting, :) although, as far as "settings" go, the "woods" is hard to beat!:jd:

Happy Fathers' Day to one and all!

ebsi

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
ebsi2001 said:
WAMBA,

The "great outdoors" is NOT the important part --- spending time with your children IS! So, don't feel sad. "Quality Time" can be had by one and all --- even if it's a game of "Parchesi" or "Uno" --- or "scrapbooking," making a really "great" pizza, or fixing the car, painting the house, planting and caring for a garden --- a day trip somewhere... "Bonding" and "learning" go hand--in--hand. It's the "CLOSENESS" that's important, NOT the setting, :) although, as far as "settings" go, the "woods" is hard to beat!:jd:

Happy Fathers' Day to one and all!

ebsi

definitely. i love my parents and it's definitely nice to do stuff with them, i just wish we had more common interests. i live for adventure and they're both accountants, so they're just about the exact opposite!

i actually had a great father's day cause my dad never tells us anything to get him and i actually got him something he really wanted for once! (an air compressor)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Largo, did we see you on the river? We were there Saturday, too, at and above Beaver Pond.
We encountered many fellow paddlers on our way up the river. (against the current). :)

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Y'know, the "green bonding" I got as a kid from certain adults made me the avid hiker and environmentalist I am today. I think if more people found time to spend outdoors with kids we would be looking at a group of young people much more concerned with the future of the ecosystems surrounding us. Kudos to you!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sue Gremlin said:
Largo, did we see you on the river? We were there Saturday, too, at and above Beaver Pond.
We encountered many fellow paddlers on our way up the river. (against the current). :)

Didn't mean to be rude and not answer, sorry...
Judging by the pic in your profile, no... our paths did not cross. Did meet many persons though.

G.