David Wright's Forge / Federal Furnace - Lakehurst

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Today I decided to take advantage of the wonderful weather and get out. My daughter is going to be born this Wednesday, so I also wanted to spend one more day out in the Pines before having to take some time off. I decided to spend some time looking for David Wright's Forge, better known as Dover Furnace (not Dover Forge!) in Lakehurst.

I plan on writing a full-length article about this relatively unknown furnace sometime soon, but here's a quick overview of the history. In 1789, David Wright and Caleb Ivins built a forge on the Horicon Branch near Lakehurst. He built the forge as well as a sawmill, but in 1793 offered it for sale. The new owner, John Godfrey erected a furnace on the property and called it Federal Furnace. Sometime before 1822, the furnace was renamed Dover Furnace when Samuel J. Read took over ownership. After the death of Read, Benjamin Howell bought the property, expanding the ironworks by adding a second furnace stack, but by 1855 the works were abandoned.

The location of the works is on private property, so I won't be getting too specific as to how to get there. There is a lot of ground to cover, and I get very nervous when I am walking around where I should not be. There was a deer carcass that was relatively fresh, and it had looked like a truck had drove through some of the fields sometime recently. I am going to try to research the owner of the property and get permission to come back and do some proper searching.

I did have some interesting finds: (click here to go right to the gallery and see larger images.)

normal_IMG_0001%7E0.jpg

A really old fire prevention sign growing out of a tree.

normal_IMG_0004%7E1.jpg

This chunk of slag is what told me I was looking in the right place.

normal_IMG_0006%7E1.jpg

Cellar holes are really hard to photograph.

normal_IMG_0008%7E1.jpg

This was next to the other cellar hole. Judging by the recent construction it likely was not part of any industrial operation on this land.

normal_IMG_0010%7E2.jpg

There were these test wells ALL OVER the place. This one was open.

normal_IMG_0014%7E1.jpg

The whole area was strewn with trash. Not much of it seemed recent. This door is from a 1920s-1930s car.

normal_IMG_0020%7E0.jpg

There was a concrete graveyard.

normal_IMG_0018%7E0.jpg

Which included something that may have been a sawmill engine base.

According to Charles Boyer, the remains of a dam and raceway were visible here in the 1930s. I was unable to find any evidence, but I am still without a good "woods" GPS. I loaded Fugawi and some topos on my phone to use it's GPS, but it wasn't working properly.

It's not too hard to figure out where this place is, however it is on private property. I do not suggest other people go there without getting permission from the landowner.

Reactions: Ryan Walton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am looking forward to reading that article when you finidh it.

Nice to see you found another one of those signs. I think I have found two or three of them, and Ed and others have found a few also.

I will be thinking about you on Wednesday :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is west of lakehurst, right Ben? There is also a Pheonix furnace location, and I believe that is right in lakehurst next to the swimming dam. There are a lot of furnaces that are not explored or talked about. I was standing in the creek yesterday at the site of Ferrego Forge, and could feel the history all around me. There are huge hunks of slag everywere.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
bobpbx said:
That is west of lakehurst, right Ben? There is also a Pheonix furnace location, and I believe that is right in lakehurst next to the swimming dam. There are a lot of furnaces that are not explored or talked about. I was standing in the creek yesterday at the site of Ferrego Forge, and could feel the history all around me. There are huge hunks of slag everywere.

It it about halfway between Lakehurst and Whiting.

Phoenix Forge apparently processed iron from Federal Forge. They were both owned by the Howells, and went out of operation at about the same time.

Is the swimming dam located by west circle on 70 in Lakehurst? I always see people parked there, and oftentimes the Lakehurst Police will have a speed trap there as well.

Boyers "Early Forges and Furnaces" is by far the best book in my collection. Furnaces are my first love - exploring Allaire as a kid is what got me really interested in the furnace towns.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The swimming dam is off the main drag in town. Go down Main till you see the lake, then turn up the road that goes behind the lake (past playground). There is a guy living on the left as you pass the swimming beach, there is evidence of the forge there in his back yard, by the creek (slag), if my memory serves me. There is a kind of remnant to the gate to the forge too. I'm guessing at that.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Interesting posts and photos. I have always been interested in the woods between Lakehurst and Whiting but haven't been in there much 'cause it is mostly private.

Jeff