Dead on Road Coyote

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Saw a freshly hit yote on route 70 about a mile west of old red lion road. The girl a few cars down hit it by accident and was waiting for the state police(not sure why).......I was shocked by it size, it was a good size animal 40+ pounds. First time I ever saw one dead on the road in the pines.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I actually saw 2 this weekend (live) one was standing alongside of the Old White Horse Pike in Waterford, and the other was on Push Line Rd. just before the camp ground entrance. These 2 are the only ones I've actually seen "in person". They were both as described by dragoncjo, about the size of a yellow lab or other larger K-9.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Saw a freshly hit yote on route 70 about a mile west of old red lion road. The girl a few cars down hit it by accident and was waiting for the state police(not sure why).......I was shocked by it size, it was a good size animal 40+ pounds. First time I ever saw one dead on the road in the pines.

She most likely thought it was a dog. You are required as far as I know to try to identify and notify the owner if you hit one.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, they knew it was a yote but thought maybe medford had some sort of wildlife pickup. It was really healthy animal, a nice gray coat with brown and red in it. There seems to be some nice variety amongst coyotes, I've seen some that are totally yellow like a lab.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I actually have been worried at times when I have been far away from Jessica that one may be in the area. You never know what they may do if she stumbled on their home. It would not take much to knock her over and she would never be able to fight one off. She has a really nasty knife, but by the time she gets it out .................

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I actually have been worried at times when I have been far away from Jessica that one may be in the area. You never know what they may do if she stumbled on their home. It would not take much to knock her over and she would never be able to fight one off. She has a really nasty knife, but by the time she gets it out .................

Guy

Get her some pepper spray, bear spray would be better :bear:

but the personal protection size should do the trick, about $20.

pdf4.jpg

New Jersey: Any non-felon 18 or over may possess for the purpose of self defense one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than 3/4 of an ounce.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The average eastern coyote is 30-50 lbs on average, track size is oval aprox. 3-3.5 inches, and colors range from blonde to darker brown and black. The western coyote by contrast is 20-30 lbs, predominately grey in color with a light grey to cream under belly. The eastern variety can often be twice the size of its western cousins! As a result, the eastern coyote exhibits different behavior, habitat use, pelt coloration, prey preferences and home range sizes from its western cousin. They continue to evolve seperate than those in the west, quite an interesting topic in animal study really.
I wouldn't want to wander onto a feeding coyote, one with pups, or fool with a den, but by and large they don't want to fool with us. While they are opportunistic predators, eating fruit to meat, generally they like small rodent with the occasional deer if they get a shot at it. I think there were like 5 million dog bites in the U.S. last year and under a dozen coyote bites. Most bites seemed to stem from rabid animals or people who stumbled into the wrong situations.
Personally I love the semi encounters I've had in the Pines; seeing coyotes at a distance, or listening to that howl when backpacking....Reminds me of something humans have forgotten in the modern world.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
or listening to that howl

I heard my first coyote howl and yipping when I was about 7, I am now 36 and to this day it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it when I am out in the woods.

CorraClaire

Sep 16, 2009
NW NJ
I actually live in NW NJ now, and sometimes we can hear coyotes howl at night in the hills. The sound is very eerie. One night when driving on 57 W, we saw a little guy running out of the corn fields right in front of our car! He was grey and white and I am pretty sure a coyote. I have seen them in New Mexico, and they are different, but there is no doubting the animal!

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Friends, family, neighbors and co-workers have all reported sightings and/or night sounds of the coyotes. There's a few thousand acres of swamp and state land behind us and we love to listen to them while we sit around a campfire. Have been listening to pup yips at Bodine and Atsion for decades. I have seen at least one or more coyotes on my property each year for the last 8 years. (No shortage of deer either) :ham: A friend of mine just got a beautiul picture of one in her yard in Mullica this week.

At the Pinelands Short-Course a few years back I took a coyote workshop. The information was invaluable and I was disappointed that it wasn't offered again the following year so I continued to find info. on my own. If I recall correctly the reason we see so many sightings at this time of year is that we are witnessing the male coyote leaving his pack and looking for his own territory. They act essentially like a dopey teenager and wander on roads, through yards, and aimlessly through the countryside almost without fear. Many times there is never a thought to anything more than a meal and a place to make his den.
Litters are born in late January through March and average about 6-7 pups. Males leave within 6- 9 months to stake their own territory. All through the summer while most folks are camping there are the sounds of the young pups being trained to feed and survive throughout the night.

Hope this helps a little in queries regarding coyotes. Here is a website with additional info.....I think they are interesting.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/coyote_info.htm

turtle