Dead Rattlesnake

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
This rattlesnake met an unfortunate end on route 532. It looks like it's head was crushed. I know we don't usually post pics of dead animals but this is not very grusome.
14946239122_9cb4bcc46c_c.jpg

14759927440_8dd6b4c904_c.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very beautiful animal,excepting the head of course.I hope that wasn't done on purpose.I"ve actually seen people swerve to hit snakes,and even turtles as well.

you know, it is interesting that you mention that, Al. I wondered that also for these reasons;
1)the chances of being struck in the head by an automobile(less than 10% of his body mass) seems unlikely, possible, but unlikely.
2)If your head gets run over it is usually instant death...so how did he get to the side of the road? He did not appear to have been dragged.
3)when your head gets run over it is usually squashed entirely. not the case here.

I almost think some one saw him crossing the road, got out, confronted him, and smacked him over the head with a stick or similar object.

of course, he might have just been grazed by the car with severe head injury, made it to side of the road and died. Or dragged, but I really don't think he was dragged.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Would take a moron to hit one on a bike.For one travelling that slowly the biker should have seen it and there is the odd chance the snake could coil and tag the biker instead of getting hit.The biker could end up being the one that gets hit.The heat pits would help the snake zero in on a leg instead of a tire or frame.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Would take a moron to hit one on a bike.For one travelling that slowly the biker should have seen it and there is the odd chance the snake could coil and tag the biker instead of getting hit.The biker could end up being the one that gets hit.The heat pits would help the snake zero in on a leg instead of a tire or frame.

Well, it was around a curve and if the biker was really cooking and the snake was on the shoulder partially in the grass it is a remote possibility. But I would suspect the snake would have gotten out of the way in time. Perhaps if a car was passing at the same moment as the bike the snake was confused and didn't react. who knows?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I found one crushed on Carranza Road right in front of the memorial in June. About 18 inches long. I was going to walk my dogs at Sandy Ridge. 45 minutes later on my return drive it was gone.
Another time this summer on e of my dogs found one. It was about 100 feet away from me and it's rattle was amazingly loud. Got that den noted, but is too open to put a camera on it.
A good year for snakes!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, it was around a curve and if the biker was really cooking and the snake was on the shoulder partially in the grass it is a remote possibility. But I would suspect the snake would have gotten out of the way in time.

My experience with the timber rattlers is that their first reaction to a threat is to freeze and wait, and assess the situation carefully. Only under direct attack and after the attack is when they are aggressive. I have seen this behavior many times.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
For a snake it doesn't take much to kill it. Me and Gibby found a similar dor, I actually stopped to get it across but it was on its way out. This time of year they are mating so unfortunately males get hit. A pretty classic pinebrake right there.