Decent Tripod for Spotting Scope ?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have this Nikon tripod that I bought a few years ago primarily for taking delayed shutter release photos when we are taking hunting pictures. It looks good but it is pretty sloppy in the head.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/821020/nikon-tripod-compact-realtree-hardwoods-green-camo

I have also used the tripod for mounting a cheap spotting scope at the rifle range over the years. Recently I bought a Redfield 20-60x x 60mm spotting scope and then exchanged it for a Redfield 20-60x x 80mm. The tripod has far too much movement in the head and head extension for use with the spotting scope.

I am looking for recommendations for a good tripod that would give me a solid mount for the spotter and I am looking to spend no more than $150.00.

Any recommendations ?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Not sure that "decent tripod" and "less than $150" go together. ;) But I am used to video tripods where $1,500 considered cheap. Of course you wouldn't need a fancy fluid head for a scope though. I have a Manfrotto 3221WN "Wilderness" tripod that I got 15 or 20 years ago and I still like it for general use. Looks like it has been discontinued now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217266-REG/Manfrotto_3221WN_3221WN_Tripod_Legs_Black.html

This looks like a somewhat lighter duty version that is currently available: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._mt290xta3us_290_xtra_3_section_aluminum.html

You would have to buy the head separately, so that would put you over your budget. It would be good to go to a store where you could see different tripods in person, I have never bought one that I couldn't look at first.

Reactions: dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Any recommendations ?

If the head is removable just replace it. I like this pistol grip head from Manfrotto, 322RC2. Look for a used one on Amazon or EBait.

uuid-1800px-inriverimage_368718.jpg

If you need a new tripod, get the weight of what you'll be mounting on it and use that to search. Manfrotto aluminum ones have always been good, I use one when carry weight isn't a consideration. If carry weight is important, the price goes up as the weight goes down. I use a Feisol carbon fiber for my DSLR and bazooka. Steer clear of the extensions, they tend to enhance any movement.

The Cape May Bird Observatory store has tripods for scopes you can try with your scope before you buy.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks for the input Boyd and 46er. The scope weight is 43 oz.
I have inspected and tightened all of the pieces of my tripod head and added a hose clamp around the extension tube where the head is inserted trying to get the slop out. However, all of the head pieces are plastic and it just ain't gonna happen.

I like the idea of trying before buying and the CM Observatory might be a good place to check.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The CMBO is currently running a limited sale; this is what they have online.

http://featheredgeoptics.org/tripods/tripod-head-and-leg-combos/sort/price-100-200

What B&H offers in Manfrotto aluminum in your price range at the link. All would easily handle your scope weight.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...=2635&N=4075788742+4289361368&mnp=125&mxp=175

The big decision is the head type. You will find most have a ball head vs the pan/tilt.

For spotting scope use is a ball head or pan/tilt preferred 46er or is it just personal preference ? I am thinking pan/tilt would be good for range use.

The Manfrotto 3WUS looks good but I see "technopolymer" listed for the head material. Sounds like plastic. The reviews on B&H and amazon sound really good though.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Pan and Tilt for scopes for sure. I use the same tripod for both photography and when using the spotting scope - just switch out the head depending on what I am doing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For spotting scope use is a ball head or pan/tilt preferred 46er or is it just personal preference ? I am thinking pan/tilt would be good for range use.

It is personal choice; in general if you will be looking at a static object versus one that moves, the pan/tilt is generally used. Having said that, birders usually pick a pan/tilt even though most birds fly ;) One of the reasons I like the one I suggested, squeeze the trigger to follow something, let it go and it freezes solid. A pan/tilt can be a pain when you want to tighten it down. If just for range use I would choose the pan/tilt, as they cost less.

Reactions: dogg57

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Personal preference must play a role because I would approach from the opposite direction - ball head for static and pan tilt for movement. That said, a good pan/tilt shouldn't need to be locked down. The tension can be set to allow the head to hold the scope stationary while still allowing the user to pan/tilt. Not sure if one exists in the price range in question though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, I am very impressed with B&H.
I ordered the tripod at 10:56 p.m. on Thursday and it was on my step today at 1:00 p.m. this afternoon. Less than 48 hours. That was with their free shipping too.

I really like the tripod. Very stable and well made. Going to try it out tomorrow.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Pretty sure their warehouse is in Brooklyn. They are the largest single photo store in the country. I get much of my outdoor gear from Campmor, they are in NJ and delivery is usually overnight. B&H should be the same once they move to NJ. I always thought of visiting their store, but can't bring myself to go into NYC :eek:

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
I always thought of visiting their store, but can't bring myself to go into NYC :eek:

Thats funny. I have the same problem. My buddy works in NYC and said the store in phenomenal, and worth the trip to the city. Just can't bring myself to go. Much cheaper to stay away too, not sure I could leave that 500Lf/4 sitting in the store with out a home.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The NY store if fantastic, there really isn't anything else like it - especially for things like pro video gear. When my friend visits from Europe, we always go there with her shopping list of things to buy for everyone back home. Yes, you will need a lot of self control if you visit there with a credit card in your pocket. It is easy to get in and out, only a few minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel and they have free parking across the street if you spend $100 (which isn't hard to do).

Only problem is you will pay the outrageous NYC sales tax on purchases in the store. They have had free next day shipping to Southern New Jersey for awhile now, I have used it frequently. It is a shame about their NJ facility and NJ sales tax though. Unfortunately, that may be a deciding factor on some purchases for me in the future.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow, I had no idea Boyd.
If your purchase is over $110, there is a NY City sales tax of 4.5%, a metropolitan transportation district surcharge of 0.375% and a NY state sales tax of 4% for a total of 8.875%. If you were only subject to the State 4% it would be great.
The internet sales for NJ subject you to the NJ sales tax of 6.875% because they have a physical presence in NJ.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The internet sales for NJ subject you to the NJ sales tax of 6.875% because they have a physical presence in NJ.

Thankfully Cabela's backed out of their plans to build, they put one in Delaware instead. With Bass Pro in AC, deferred sales taxes have almost dried up.