Deep Run Lowlands, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

All members of PBX received this edited email from Bob on 3/25/2023.

There are the Carolina lowlands and there are also the Osage Plains lowlands, over in Oklahoma, Kansas, and parts of Texas. Well, on this trip, we are going to cross the Deep Run Lowlands, where the elevation is only 50 to 60 feet above sea level.

I make no apologies here because I’m giving you fair warning right now. There won’t be vistas of water to enjoy here, no sir. But If you like the deep woods and cedar swamps where few go, then come along!

Happy trails! Bob

On this trip were....

bobpbx (Bob)
TeeGate (Me)
Jessica
RednekF350 (Scott) and his bride Dotty
Hewey (Chris)
Menantico (Dan)
PBX Mark
PBX Paul
PBX Mike

The trip started on Hampton Road at Deep Run and we traveled completely across the lowlands and swamps to Bards Bridge Road where we had left some vehicles. The state in more recent years have acquired about 82 feet of access to Bards Bridge road so we were able to stay on Wharton property the complete route.

Our route from South To North

track2.jpg

Taking a break.

IMG_7789a.jpg

We came upon some really nice area's that deserve more exploring in the future.

IMG_7786a.jpg

And as deep as we were we did come upon a deer stand and feeder that a hunter had spent quite a bit of time making a trail to. Notice the camera on the tree.

IMG_7785a.jpg

This nice grove of trees in the Savanah had evidence that the deer were bedding down there. A perfect spot!

IMG_7780a.jpg

Some of the savanahs were fairly large.

IMG_7778a.jpg

Jessica was struggling today. Her new boots are insulated and weigh quite a bit and she was unprepared for how heavy they would be on such a long hike through the woods.

IMG_7794a.jpg

A Wharton property stone that I had visited years ago with Rob from work.

IMG_7795a.jpg

Fiddleheads all over the place on the final stretch to the end.

IMG_7798a.jpg

A massive amount of twayblade orchids along our route.
IMG_7791a.jpg

And the final stretch was a challenge to everyone.

IMG_7803a.jpg

Here is a video of the recent acquisition along Bards Bridge Road. It is not for the casual hiker.

Click Here For Cedar Crossing Video

In the end we rated it between and 8 and 8.5.

Last edited:

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Today's hike was far from our longest, but the tail end of the hike was one of the more strenuous. The strenuous part is the small price you need to pay to see areas of the pines that very few humans lay eyes upon. It was a great day in the Jersey pines followed with a classic PBX tailgate post hike. At Today's tailgate we had two turkey gobbling not far away just about the entire time we were there. Gobbling turkey, thunder in the distance and good conversation with good people was the perfect end to the day.

From a dike at the start of the hike.
20230415_100705.jpg

Cedar, sedge and moss.
20230415_121442.jpg

Bob's find of the day. He found it 100 yards from the end of the hike. We usually find a shed antler or a buck skull on just about every PBX hike.
20230415_150505.jpg

On my way home to the east side of the pines, I was able to see the smoke plume from the most recent forest fire in Little Egg Harbor TWP.

From Savoy in Chatsworth.
20230415_181405.jpg

From Lake Rd on the Manchester TWP/Lacey TWP border.
20230415_184411.jpg

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A little FYI for the PBX members and all others.

When driving down Bards Bridge Road yesterday we noticed that the D.C. Rod and Gun Club has a new name. It is now called Autumn Smoke Rod and Gun Club. I checked into it and on October 5, 2022 it was sold. D.C. Rod and Gun Club owned it since 1954.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well it was only about two miles as the crow flies from starting point to finish point. But sadly, we were not crows. We were humans clutching and clawing our way through some unexpectedly tough natural obstacles. The last 1/3 of a mile or so was through a wind-damaged cedar swamp that slowed us down to a crawl. Everyone gritted their teeth and powered through with cedar bark smiles all the way.

God was looking out for us on this one keeping the powerful storms at bay in the afternoon. The tailgate soothed all the pain, as it always does and we peacefully watched the absolute easternmost edge of the thunder storms pass to the west of our spot. Yes Bob, the West ! ;)

I wouldn't have missed this outing for anything and I hope we can keep it going another 10 years! Thanks to Bob for assembling another classic Death March. :)

redIMG_1464.jpg

redIMG_1465.jpg

redIMG_1471.jpg

redIMG_1495.jpg

redIMG_2296.jpg

redIMG_2298.jpg

redIMG_2305.jpg

redIMG_2315.jpg

redIMG_2319.jpg

redIMG_2317.jpg

redIMG_2321.jpg

redIMG_2332.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott, I'm trying to figure out why I was so wrong at the parking spot. Check this out, is this where your truck was and the way your truck was angled?

1681655659813.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Chris, that smoke shot from Savoy Blvd, where was that taken? I don't recall those buildings on that road. Is that south of Savoy, in Chatsworth?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No. Rotate your arrow 45 degrees clockwise and then you would have it. The truck was parked more or less east-west. We were looking square into the woods from the other hike.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Okay, but that would put Dave's road south, and 206 west. That is what I was "saying", but I was always "pointing" in the wrong direction. I was only half right and half wrong. Like I said, if I'm in the woods I never trust my judgement unless I have sun and know what the time it is.

Reactions: RednekF350