Deep Washouts on Lower Forge - Recovery

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Last Sunday I met a bunch of drivers a Atsion to explore before they camped for the night. Unfortunately, their leader drove into a deep washout and gunked up his engine. He managed to get the GPS coordinates to me and I led the crew out there to tow him out. Take care out there.

This is on Lower Forge (aka "Bulldozed Road") right before Hampton Gate.
20221105_112417(1).jpg

As it often is, this was caused by a bad choice... many other cars made it through by skirting the center and using the "go around" which was also flooded, but seemed a little shallower. I learned my lesson more easily. He's getting a new engine, I believe. They swapped a fried starter but water got past the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and no amount of towels and fans could get it to turn over.
The rest of the cars made it to the campground, I wasn't camping so I turned around and didn't risk it!

Video of cars making it through:

• Wow
Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One should always get out and check the depth before crossing when in a vehicle like that. If I don't know the puddle, I check.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: TommyP

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes, that's been a bad spot for at least 13 years but feel good for if you get a permit the road will be approved.
The fact that the puddle on Tuckerton heading towards High Crossing was recently repaired and those weren’t leads me to believe that they don’t want to keep that road open.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The fact that the puddle on Tuckerton heading towards High Crossing was recently repaired and those weren’t leads me to believe that they don’t want to keep that road open.
No, it is not on Tuckerton but on the bulldozed road toward Lower Forge. See the map. The Tuckerton part has not got that far and appears the road has been abandoned. Tuckerton Road and HF High Crossing roads have been major roads for centuries .

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
No, it is not on Tuckerton but on the bulldozed road toward Lower Forge. See the map. The Tuckerton part has not got that far and appears the road has been abandoned. Tuckerton Road and HF High Crossing roads have been major roads for centuries .
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. Those holes are on Buldozed Road. The state just recently repaired the hole on Tuckerton in between Buldozed road and Mines Spung Road. The decision to not fix that short section when the equipment was that close leads me to believe they may not have intentions to do so.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I always thought Lower Forge Camp was a wilderness camp, no vehicles allowed.
It is Bob. You can park vehicles on the east side of the river wherever you can find a spot and walk right to the site.

I hiked in from Batsto back in '79 for an overnight stay when I was in college with two college buddies. They were both from congested areas of North Jersey and you would have though I took them to Alaska. Good times.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, I misunderstood, Tuckerton road was fixed south of where the Batona Trail crosses it buy not followed through to the Bulldzsed Road.. I belive it was a response to the recent fire, not to good intensions. They? did a good job from Carranza road through High Crossing several years ago but never followed through to Washington.
Bob, you can park to within 1/4 mile from the campground but campers drive in to set up camp. No well but a can. Beautiful uplands, worthy of PBX. Mannis Duck Pond, Lower Forge Hunt club and just beautiful open uplands. Also the Batsto trestle.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
The road was fine until the intersection with Tuckerton. No different than any other single lane road in the area. Better than Railroad Ave.

And hello to the driver of the black 4Runner who knew my name!
I'm an internet celebrity now.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of puddles, I went from the old firetower site in Greenwood to Aserdaten this weekend. I was surprised by the amount of puddles, so I counted all the puddles that covered at least 75% of the road, and there were 58 puddles in 2 1/2 miles. I recall when there were none. Definitely hard to go someplace fast now.

1668464839275.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the location of choice now.... to tear up roads.