Deer are nasty!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Man, that deer went to town on that dog!!! I disagree, I don't think the doe was nasty at all. It had a very young fawn there and was just protecting it. I feel bad for the dog, but it takes alot of guts for a doe to stand up to a dog like that. The doe was less threatened by the cat but when the cat swatted at it......The disturbing part is that this is interaction between a wild animal and domestic animals that is very unnatural. Suburban sprawl is the nasty thing here.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Man, that deer went to town on that dog!!! I disagree, I don't think the doe was nasty at all. It had a very young fawn there and was just protecting it. I feel bad for the dog, but it takes alot of guts for a doe to stand up to a dog like that. The doe was less threatened by the cat but when the cat swatted at it......The disturbing part is that this is interaction between a wild animal and domestic animals that is very unnatural. Suburban sprawl is the nasty thing here.

Jeff

You said it well, Jeff.

Glo

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Jeff

"Suburban sprawl" is just a loaded and murkily-defined concept. My neighborhood has been where it is for 25 years, and yet there is increasing contact between pets and deer. The fact is that the deer population is rapidly increasing. There is abundant chow and little to no predation. What was to be expected? When we moved here 8 years ago we'd see troops of them moving through the woods between houses. Now we see them standing in the middle of the road, on lawns, in school parking lots. I don't mind deer. I wish they wouldn't eat my shrubs, but I don't _really_ give a crap about my shrubs. I do care about my dogs. Right now my dogs think deer are to be chased out of the yard. Good dogs! I don't know what they will think if they actually catch one, but it might go like this:

"Got him!"
"Shit!"
"Guess we hunt in packs for a reason!"

I only hope he lives to learn the lesson, because there are only two solutions to this: 1) shoot the deer; 2) let the pets learn what to leave alone.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I think that deer had a run in with a K9 before. It didn't mind the cat until it was too persistent.
If a deer gets on my property my dog will kill them faster than you can blink, even with a fawn around. It is not out of meanness, the wolf is in her. She doesn't bother any thing else, she just want's to eat them, just like many humans do.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm surprised he kills deer by himself. Want to sell him? ;)

Seriously, either the females at 90-150 lbs, or the males up to 300 lb, are a match for most single dogs given their sharp front hooves, strong legs, and height advantage. The males have antlers too. My Lab is about 100 Lb but I am pretty sure a buck would tear him up.

You must have a large dog.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I'm surprised he kills deer by himself. Want to sell him? ;)

Seriously, either the females at 90-150 lbs, or the males up to 300 lb, are a match for most single dogs given their sharp front hooves, strong legs, and height advantage. The males have antlers too. My Lab is about 100 Lb but I am pretty sure a buck would tear him up.

You must have a large dog.

A very fit 135 lb female Great Dane. She can't catch them on a run but sometimes they panic when they get cornered against our fence even though they could jump it. She stalks and if she sences an opportunity she bolts. She gets them by the back of the neck and with one shake it's over, seven so far. Some looked as big as her. What she bites, breaks. She's out in the yard by herself alot. A couple of times I went looking for her and found her dismantling a deer. My white girl was red, time for a bath. Another time she she was on the ground and had a fawn by the back legs. Foolishly we tried to rescue it. We put our combined weight of300 lbs on her and still she got up with the deer in her mouth! It did survive. She shows no fear and hits like a train, they panic because she does not hesitate. BTW she is a real sweety, she just likes deer. She is not the only Dane we had that would do this.
Seriously, I do worry about her being kicked but hasen't had a scratch yet. I put up a new 6 foot fence that keeps out all but the largest deer and has cut down on the problem. There are so many deer here in Tabernacle I consider them vermine. I used to have friends hunt my property but with the people who our moving out here now you just get complaints. I also think the safty zone for bow is too large. So now we are culling the deer with our cars. The people that work at the boot camp on Carranza Road are particullary good at it, they drive like it's 295.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I also think the safty zone for bow is too large. So now we are culling the deer with our cars..

Well Ed wish no more !
Today the senate approved the bow perimeter bill dropping the safety zone to 150' from 450' for bow.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...to-reduce-bowhunting-buffer-zone-around-homes

Now you can tell those yuppy Tabernacle tree huggers to go back to wherever it is yuppy tree huggers come from.
I had a lively exchange several years ago with a crackpot JO in your neighborhood who interrupted my lawful muzzleloader hunt on a friend's property. He went home to sulk and I eventually killed two there.

I would be happy to cull a few for you if you have a change of heart.

This perimeter bill had a lot of support from the NJOA, the United Bowhunters and numerous sportsman's clubs, including mine, which has 680 members.

Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Today the senate approved the bow perimeter bill dropping the safety zone to 150' from 450' for bow.Scott

Oh joy.

...."Supporters say the shortened distance would help hunters better cull deer that become less accessible as they gravitate toward residential areas".

Right. Like the deer never move?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Oh joy.

...."Supporters say the shortened distance would help hunters better cull deer that become less accessible as they gravitate toward residential areas".

Right. Like the deer never move?

No they don't when they find a good food source. They bed down in the farm fields here and graze and sleep with the horses in the pastures.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No they don't when they find a good food source. They bed down in the farm fields here and graze and sleep with the horses in the pastures.
Agreed Ed.
When they get fat and happy eating hostas and flowers and lawns, they don't do lot of moving. Just off to the wooded fringe of a back yard is far enough when they are not being bothered.
The 450' rule effectively created a 900' hands off area if you were trying to hunt a pocket piece between two homes or two developments. This will reduce zone that to 300'.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Well Ed wish no more !
Today the senate approved the bow perimeter bill dropping the safety zone to 150' from 450' for bow.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...to-reduce-bowhunting-buffer-zone-around-homes

Now you can tell those yuppy Tabernacle tree huggers to go back to wherever it is yuppy tree huggers come from.
I had a lively exchange several years ago with a crackpot JO in your neighborhood who interrupted my lawful muzzleloader hunt on a friend's property. He went home to sulk and I eventually killed two there.

I would be happy to cull a few for you if you have a change of heart.

This perimeter bill had a lot of support from the NJOA, the United Bowhunters and numerous sportsman's clubs, including mine, which has 680 members.

Scott

That's good Scott. My only issue with hunting, or target shooting, is safety. Someone in a tree shooting downward has a good backstop. In particular it's the muzzle loaders being shot horizontally that make me nervous. Funny that I hever got the hunting bug with my love of the woods, I was not introduced to it when I was young. I have dressed out about 20 deer, made deer sausage, burgers, steaks and tanned a couple of hihes. I am a salt water fisherman, spearfishing on scuba and I like to crab.
Every Thanksgiving, for about 2 decades now, when my friends were done their morning hunt we get together in my driveway for beer, snapps and cigars. If they got a deer we'd let the dogs have a look then clean it. I just dig a hole in the garden and bury whatever and then hose it out. One year Rex handed me the heart, still warm, I cooked it and that was breakfast.
I also enjoy the Tuckerton Seaport Museum, especially the duck hunting shacks with the vintage guns and refrigerators. Boy would I like to have stayed in one.
Right now my property is deer free because of the fence I put up but my neighbor has about 15 deer in permanent redisence. She is not hunter friendly but is trying to sell, I'll keep you in mind. 150 feet is easy
on the properties in my neighborhood.
I just wanted to explain myself as I am am sometimes hard on hunters because some of them are jerks, just like the general population. I know you enjoy living off the land and I think that's great.

Ed

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Bob. Please. I believe the discussion here is about splintering arrows through their brains.

I have never known a hunter to ever aim at the head as it is such a small target, non licensed illegal bow shooters who are not hunters may shoot a goose or duck or deer in the head and have the animal run off but a hunter would never take such a shot.

I love how your Dane is able to kill a deer ecampbell, if mine was able to do that I would be eating venison burgers much more often :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As I sit here dining on a juicy, perfectly seared barbecued backstrap rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning and dabbing it in a homemade barbecue sauce with a cold beer at my side, I can't help but agree with the title of the thread.
Deer are nasty and they really should be shot and eaten before they have a chance to harm pets or cause vehicular damage.
Buuurrrrrrppp.
:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As I sit here dining on a juicy, perfectly seared barbecued backstrap rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning and dabbing it in a homemade barbecue sauce with a cold beer at my side, I can't help but agree with the title of the thread. :)

Ha! Just make sure you bring some of them on the next big trip. Don't eat them all!