Deer Blind off of Jones Rd

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
On a recent trail run off of Jones Rd area in Waretown I was shown a "deer blind" just off of a larger road. It was about 4 foot deep and very clean inside. The 8 inch gap aimed directly at an open area which presumably was being baited to attract deer. Pretty neat.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! I found this recently which I would have to think was used by hunters. It was semi remote.

IMG_3813.JPG

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Cool find! A pit blind. I have faound a few of these in the pines in the past. I bet they work well as a blind. They conceal all of your movement, I'm sure they do an ok job keeping the human scent contained, zero issue of a human silhouette, not a common place deer would expect a predator and or danger to come from, and you are out of the elements. I just think that it would be stange shooting up at a deer. It could also pose dangerous due to the upward trajectory of the shot.

I have a blind similar to the one in your picutre Guy. I "brush" mine in so it blends well with the environment. That one sticks out like a sore thumb! Even though it does not look like a predator to the deer, it does look out of place and not natural. Deer will avoid it for that reason alone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was really concerned walking up to it that someone was in there. For all I know they may have been. I poked at it and called out with no response. It is not far from where we had the recent tailgate.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I was really concerned walking up to it that someone was in there. For all I know they may have been. I poked at it and called out with no response.

My friend and I were hunting deep in a foot accsess only area in the pines a couple of years back. It is an area we like to do some silent two man drives. We came upon a large enclosed Box Blind high up in a tree. We came up on the backside of the Blind that had no window. We wanted to push along the creek and this was the point we wanted to start. So I called out to see if a Hunter was in the blind. Sure enough a Hunter called back. We backed out of the area as quietly as we could. I was shocked to find a Hunter that would walk in as far as we did. That is rare, most Hunters only hunt a few hundred yards away from where they park.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Your right about most hunters now a days not walking far from the truck. There are a few though that go quite a distance. They actually work for their deer, blind, bait, carrying out the trophy, etc.

I've come across a large pit type blind up in a tree, actually looked like the duck pit blinds. This one is just off the South bound parkway in Bass river. The guy drives off on the shoulder and hides his truck.

There is another pit blind off 72 in the Pygmy Pines, abandoned for years. Not as big as the one pictured, a one man. Plywood, roof and chair, but the killing zone " window" is much larger than the one pictured. Guy may know where this one is.

Those camo tents appear to becoming quite popular, I've come upon more than a few the last couple years.