DEP Acquires Historic Office and Homestead of James Still in Medford

This is a bit of old news (only 10 months late), but I missed it and couldn't find it when I searched the site, so I figured I'd share.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 28, 2006
Elaine Makatura (609) 292-2994

DEP Acquires Historic Office and Homestead of James Still in Medford

(06/10) TRENTON - Emphasizing the importance of preserving historic landmarks in the state, Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson today announced the acquisition of the former Medford office and homestead of medical practitioner James Still, the son of former slaves who was renowned for his botanical remedies. The 8-acre parcel was at risk of being demolished to make way for a commercial development.

"On this last day of Black History Month, I am proud to announce the acquisition of this historic landmark," said Commissioner Jackson. "James Still was a remarkable man who surmounted many challenges to become one of New Jersey's most respected doctors. All people benefited from his medicinal cures."

Read the entire press release here

Oct 25, 2006
dr.james still

if anyone is interested,abe books has a copy of the doctors book,early recollections and life of dr.james still,standard used condition for $27.26.