DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
You knew the data was skewed as soon as you saw the map! Great job on requesting the data and digging in to find out how many were ignored. Well Done… Just sent a little note to our Governor with a link to the video

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Everyone should go to the OpenTrailsNJ website and click on the link to "Contact The Governor" by text message. If you don't want to join the reply portion of the text message just ignore that when it shows up.

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
Sent email, added on that this effects my recreation directly. Classic case of ‘manipulate the data to get your desired results’.

It won’t stop with motorized vehicles. I’ve already seen a paid proponent of this map using the term mechanized in place of motorized. Mechanized has been used to include bicycles and keep them out of the wilderness.

Bog Mermaid

Nov 8, 2021
Folsom
I thought it was crazy that it seemed like I was the only one that liked some of my favorite locations in Wharton.
When this survey went out I had a lot of questions about how the data would be quantified and processed, and then finally presented. Found it difficult to understand how the data would actually be used. I had chosen to submit a statement because I was not sure if they places outlined would be considered places to protect or places I like to access. They asked for places that were important. I understand the impracticality of trying to translate data like that into something meaningful. Having parameters explained before the survey was made available would have produced a more accurate picture with clearer intent. I’m disappointed that the limitations on acreage outlined were not fully disclosed by the NJDEP.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am posting again to ask all of you who have not contacted the governor by text message on the OpenTrails site to please do so.