Dicktown & Penbryn

Pfrey71

Oct 3, 2012
Winslow Twp NJ
Thanks for the good info jd5410. I think I found the "Jesus" house you're referring to in the old aerial photos. The 1931 image is too blurry but in the 1940 image there's a small house near the intersection of what's now Regan Ridge Rd and Gooseneck Lane, which is very close to where the pool house is now. Regan Ridge circles the pool house and intersects in two places onto Meetinghouse Circle. In the 1963 aerial there's an addition of a second, much larger house in front of the small house. Then in the 1970 photo, both houses are gone.

Jenn Jennings

Sep 11, 2013
I know this thread has mostly been about Dicktown, but the Historical Society of Winslow Township is having a guest speaker talk about Penbryn on October 7th, 2013. I'm a member, and I know the group would love to have folks like those here who have a real interest in history. Penbryn and Dicktown are lost communities that we want to document. :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Interesting stuff. I faintly recall a mention in some historical document or another of a settlement NW of Dicktown. i believe it predated Dicktown by a couple decades. It was founded by one Joseph Booboski, an early polish immigrant. I believe it came to be known as Boobsville. Has anyone noticed any reference to this while researching Dicktown?

Reactions: noboat

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
Here is information about the upcoming talk on Penbryn:

The Historical Society of Winslow
Township presents
“The History and People of Penbryn”

Monday, October 7, 2013, 8:00 PM at the
Bud Duble Senior Center
33 Cooper Folly Road
Atco, NJ 08004 (Across from Winslow Township Middle School and next to the library)

Winslow Township is made up of many villages, some large, some small. Among the smallest is Penbryn. Although mostly known today for the lake bearing the village’s name or the Johns Manville Plant, few realize that this tiny remaining part of a failed early twentieth century subdivision was the home of a world famous Champion Woodchopper, the mother of a currently very popular TV personality, and Winslow Township’s very own Mayor Barry Wright.

Visit with the Historical Society of Winslow Township as Mayor Wright tells us about the early and later industries of Penbryn, some of the people who have lived there and what it was like to grow up in one of Winslow’s smallest villages. Presentation will begin after our 7:00 PM regular business meeting. Free Admission with light refreshments provided.

History is Alive in Winslow Township

Our E-mail - HistoricalSocietyOfWinslowTwp@comcast.net
Our website - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njhswt/
Our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/WinslowTwpHistoricalSociety
Our Message board - http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.organizations.njhswt/mb.ashx

Attachments

• Lake 5.jpg
    Lake 5.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 346

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
jejennings,

Thanks for the meeting announcement. I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's talk about Penbryn and look forward to learning more about Winslow Township - an underrepresented part of the Pine Barrens.

S-M

seckhardt

Nov 5, 2014
Capture.JPG
I know it's 2 years later, but I was also looking into the history of Dicktown since Google, Facebook, and everyone else seem to think it's a real place today. I took that 1931 aerial image and overlaid it with the tax parcel and road network of today.