Digi-Pecker

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was sitting out back today with the bride enjoying a beer and sitting under a hi-hat heater when she spotted a bird ducking in and out of a hole in one of our oaks. The tree was damaged a few years ago in a storm and it has been struggling. I grabbed my binos and she ID'd it as a Northern Flicker. I would have sworn it was a bird. :confused:
Since the bird seemed really focused on digging out some heartwood and spitting out wood chips, I went in and grabbed my spotter and Phone Skope bracket. I was able to grab a few cool shots.
Enjoy ! Beats reading Covid-19 death tolls hands down.
IMG_4530 (2) (Medium).JPG
IMG_4534 (2) (Medium).JPG
IMG_4540 (2) (Medium).JPG
IMG_4548 (2) (Medium).JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Used to be red shafted and yellow shafted species but they combined em into one species as you say the "Northern" a few years ago,maybe more then a few.I don';t recall ever seeing a yellow,always reds.

I was sitting out back today with the bride enjoying a beer and sitting under a hi-hat heater when she spotted a bird ducking in and out of a hole in one of our oaks. The tree was damaged a few years ago in a storm and it has been struggling. I grabbed my binos and she ID'd it as a Northern Flicker. I would have sworn it was a bird. :confused:
Since the bird seemed really focused on digging out some heartwood and spitting out wood chips, I went in and grabbed my spotter and Phone Skope bracket. I was able to grab a few cool shots.
Enjoy ! Beats reading Covid-19 death tolls hands down.View attachment 13391View attachment 13392View attachment 13393View attachment 13394

georgeous!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'd like to know also what your photo setup is. By your description it sounds like a spotting scope with a cell phone adapter. Is that right?

I am using a Phone Skope brand bracket with an iPhone 8 plus in an Otter Defender case on a Redfield Rampage 20-60x 80mm spotting scope. All of the above parameters go into buying the correct bracket.

Phone Skope makes a bracket for a dizzying combination of cell phones, in or out of a variety of protective cases and most spotting scopes. The bracket is specific to your phone and the eyepiece adapter is specific to your scope. Phone Skope makes adapters for binoculars too.

Once you purchase the setup, you download their app and use the app while taking photos. They recently updated their app and it is a powerful tool in itself.

I really enjoy it. It's a pretty cool toy that creates some amazing images using just a cell phone. My spotting scope is not high end and costs around $300. The whole setup is cheaper than a good telephoto lens for a camera.

Here is a picture of the setup. It's on the tripod that came with the spotter.
Phone Skope.jpg

Last edited: