Directions to the "Blue Hole"

Aaronwinkel

Jun 29, 2016
Winslow twp nj
Hello all,
I just came from the Blue Hole. So I figured I'd give directions for those needing them. These are from Hammonton and points East.
From here I take 561 all the way to Hammonton, rather than drive on 30. But if you drive on 30, way out in the western part of Mullica, 30 makes a curve to the right. At that point go straight, on 602. 602 eventually merges with 561. At 54 you have to make a left and a quick right in order to stay on 561. From there you go through Folsom. Then you watch out for a railroad bridge. You go under that bridge and only a short distance further you go over a steel-deck bridge that goes over more railroad tracks. After that you make a left turn onto Hall Street. But you have to watch out because Hall Street actually touches the end of the bridge, so you need to turn immediately! You don't want to miss it.
Somewhere along the way, Hall Street becomes Piney Hollow Road, but I didn't notice where. But you don't have to make any turns. Just stay on this road. When you go through Winslow, watch out for a severe turn to the left, directly in front of the Winslow School. From there you go 3 miles and make a right turn at the sign for the shotgun range (not the archery range). It's directly across from a blueberry field. After you turn in, you go about 6 tenths of a mile and park off the edge of the sand road and walk down a path. There is a road there which goes to the right, but you don't go down there. You walk the path, which is at like a 45º angle from the road you came in on. Follow that for just a few minutes and you'll see the Blue Hole on your right. You'll notice a concrete pipe under the path that is beginning to show, and it has a piece broken out of it. That's where it is.
Barry
Def can't find what you're talking about. I only see Inskip rd and where the bridge is out. How do I get across from there I need a map thank you

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I am of the opinion that Pinelands “blue holes” are not as mysterious as thought, but are natural features that mark locations of ancient strong springs called icings (aka aufeis – German, naladi – Russian). During cold, dry and windy periods of the Pleistocene, most Pinelands streams flowed during brief snowmelt high-energy floods over frozen ground producing wide braided channels. Icings are places where perennial springs erupted in frozen stream beds from shallow unfrozen underground seeps called taliks. Tabular sheet-like layers of ice formed below the icing spring in the frigid air, appearing like a miniature glacier. Demitroff (2007: 100–123) wrote about them as did Boyd (2008: 32).

Boyd, H.P., 2008: The Ecological Pine Barrens of New Jersey: An Ecosystem Threatened by Fragmentation. Medford, NJ: Plexus Publishing. 272 pp.

Demitroff, M., 2007: Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey’s Periglacial Legacy. Masters Thesis, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 244 pp.
S-M

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Last edited:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Def can't find what you're talking about. I only see Inskip rd and where the bridge is out. How do I get across from there I need a map thank you

I am of the opinion that Pinelands “blue holes” are not as mysterious as thought, but are natural features...
S-M

As Spung-Man noted there are many "blue holes", and for this discussion one east of Piney Hallow rd and one West, both by Inskip rd

Last edited:

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Enormiss,

The USGS map excerpt (below) marks a singular Inskeeps "Blue Hole," the only one I am familiar with at that site. There are a few others like Dog Heaven, the Danger Hole and Mt. Misery. I do not want to leave an impression they are commonplace.

Screen shot 2016-07-01 at 5.03.27 PM.png

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.62670756789777&lng=-74.89586848419191&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

S-M

Last edited:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Im just thinking about how the the term "blue hole" can be used to describe many bodies of water here.
Like the 1st page of this thread where one persons hole was void of life but anothers had fish.
I zoomed out on the map link just above your post and it shows the pit across piney hallow as "blue hole" as well, both on Inskip.
Guess I just dont find "blue hole" descriptive enough LoL