Disappearing Orchids

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Late last week Ro &I toured our end of Burlington County, looking for Pink Lady Sipper/Cyprepediumacaule. We visited a number of places including three sites at Whitesbog, including one that held a number of plants 2 years ago, one just outside Leisuretowne, one north of Tabernacle, etc. We didn't see a single bloom, in fact, not a single sign of a plant.
Disease? Poachers?
johnny b

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My guess is the weather. Wharton is having a hike this Saturday to look for them.

The Wharton Naturalist will be leading a hike on the Wharton State Forest hiking trails, enjoying the spring weather, identifying local flora, and looking especially for Ladies Slippers!

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have not looked for them this year and will make it a point to stop in and see if they are there.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've observed Lady Slipper in greater numbers in the years immediately following a burn. Turkey Beard behaves similarly. Perhaps the vegetation where a decline is noticed is getting too dense.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was able to look today for the first time and if you travel down the road from Atsion to Lock's Bridge and look especially on the islands along the road you will find many of them not blooming. However, you can find at least three or so blooming in view of your car window. It is wet so you might want to have 4x4 to view them. Jessica found them all just looking out the car window while driving. You can see my car at the top left of the photo.

IMG_1652a.jpg

IMG_1720a.jpg