Discaeded Cranberries

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
This afternoon as we drove north on 563 just south of Chatsworth, Ro pointed to the large field south of the Ocean Spray packing plant and said that the field looked like it was covered in cranberries. I said,"No way. Must be some sort of grass." I didn't remember ever seeing that field look so rust-colored before. Ro U-turned, parked on the shoulder, and we walked thru the woods a short distance to the field.
The field was covered, acres and acres of it, with discarded cranberries.
Why in the world was all this valuable crop destroyed???

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting. I am sure someone will tell us why. If not we must investigate.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
This afternoon as we drove north on 563 just south of Chatsworth, Ro pointed to the large field south of the Ocean Spray packing plant and said that the field looked like it was covered in cranberries. I said,"No way. Must be some sort of grass." I didn't remember ever seeing that field look so rust-colored before. Ro U-turned, parked on the shoulder, and we walked thru the woods a short distance to the field.
The field was covered, acres and acres of it, with discarded cranberries.
Why in the world was all this valuable crop destroyed???

I am an Ocean Spray cranberry grower and the fruit you are seeing in the feild was not usable do to fruit rot. These were the berries taken out by the cleaning equipment in the plant. New Jersey had a very big cranberry yield this year. New Jersey unfortunately has a lot of warm humid summers which enhances fruit rot. Cooler summers help with lowering the percentage of fruit rot. But the actual amount of fruit you are seeing in the field is not that much at all considering all the cranberries New Jersey Ocean Spray growers produce. I hope this answers your question.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Wow! Many thanks to Piney Warden and dogg57 for some very interesting, educational info.
This is an excellent example of how well this Forum works - many thanks to all.