Discard Electronics Intelligently

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin today reminded residents that televisions, computers, electronic tablets, e-book readers, and monitors that have been replaced by new electronic holiday gifts cannot be thrown out with the trash but must be taken to designated recycling collection points as required by state law.

"Recycling of e-waste is taking hold across the state, and is steadily becoming routine," Commissioner Martin said. "These devices can no longer be placed out on the curb. They must be taken to specially designated e-waste recycling drop-off points conveniently located throughout our municipalities and counties or to retailers that accept these materials."

Since taking effect on Jan. 1, 2011, the state's Electronic Waste Management Act has dramatically increased the amount of e-waste that is recycled in the state, keeping potentially hazardous materials out of landfills and incinerators. Through the third quarter of 2012, more than 62 million pounds of e-waste have been diverted from the regular waste stream.

The law covers televisions and all personal or portable computers - including desktop, notebook and laptop computers, as well as computer monitors. Manufacturers of these devices now fund the collection of e-waste so that it is free for consumers.
http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/discard-electronics-intelligently-per-njdep/943127

http://www.nj.gov/dep/dshw/ewaste/index.html

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Goodwill has a program in cooperation with Dell Computer that accepts just about any electronic Device and then properly recycles them. I have brought dozens of PCs, printers, etc from work to Goodwill and they are happy to get them.

Reactions: AndyParker856nj

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There is not much reason to dump anything anymore. It's amazing how th recycle and scrap industry has grown. I have been taking my electronics to goodwill. They even have a dumpster at the Tabernacle town hall.
I have also been taking my metal items to Red Lion Metals and getting cash. Pretty cool for something I was going to throw out.

Reactions: Teegate
Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
When I think of TVs dumped in the woods the first thing I think of is the smashed TV at Apple Pie Hill. Or maybe it's a new TV each time. Although it was pretty clean the last time I was there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess the extra distance from the gate that they have to carry it discourages them :dance: