Discovery survival shows

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
The new "edited" versions of Man Vs. Wild show what I suspected, he doesn't actually sleep in the wild, and even some of the food is "set up", ie the rabbit was put there and not actually caught in the snare.
I still like the show, it is some interesting entertainment, but not a story. Bear also does a number of stunts that would get most of us killed. I still prefer Survivorman. He stays there 7 days FOR REAL and has no camera crew.
No doubt Les Stroud would beat Bear when it comes to ACTUALLY SURVIVING in the wild for a length of time.:eng101:

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
My wife and I watch them both. Where did you find out that Man vs. Wild is staged?

The Discovery channel forums (http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/2161971848). Also on the show itself they edited. When the Scotland episode 1st aired, they shows Bear caught a rabbit in a snare, however, the episode was edited and he then says that the rabbit was brought there to show how to kill and cook it.
The sheep in Iceland was another example, originally he said he came across it, in the edit, he says it was brought there by a farmer. Also in Hawaii he really isn't in the middle of nowhere, as this video demonstrates.
http://ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/32385

The edits are on the air right now, you can see the changes they made. Now that I know Bear lied I really don't like the show as much. Survivorman is more real and upfront.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
I do like both shows but i would definately have to go with survivor man. Like said before, no camera crew and he stays in a certain area for a week. Either way if you watch those shows your bound to learn something you didn't know before.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm a huge fan of man vs. wild ....but did anyone actually think Bear did alot of that stuff. Bear repeatedly says that he tries to teach things you can do in the wild to stay alive. The concept of the show is not to send bear out into the woods for a few days and for him to survive, that is what Les Stroud does. Bear's objective is to teach people to be creative in the woods and he offers a multitude of cool ideas and concepts. He has to cover as many of these concepts as possible in a given habitat. Remember this is TV with budgets and the crew can't wait around for a week while Bear tries to trap a rabbit. The guy is clearly capable of doing lots of this stuff though, and I have taken lots of tips from him. I find Les Stroud to be very boring and canandian though, I find bear much more entertaining.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
i like both shows, and i think bear is much more entertaining. But my friend and i were talking about some of the fake stuff, and for me that does take away from the show. just say how it is, don't make stuff up then go back on it. like apparently he was weraing a like jacket under his shirt when he was going down the rapids, that one show where he built a raft, that was built three days ahead of time by someone else. I like les and bear both good shows, but if you do need help or base a show around building a raft then you didn't build just say it, Deadliest catch great show, they always flip and flop when stuff actually happened, if something happened on day five, they will put it in like it happened day one becasue it make it more dramatic, its a awesome show but i hate when they make stuff up, but do love all these shows, just not as much when i hear stuff like this

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
1st clue that the dude is a moron? His name is bear, If that wasnt bad enough all of his crap is staged and fake, u could put anyone out in the woods, with supplies and get the same results.NOT A FUN WATCH AT ALL.

Survivorman on the other hand is awsome.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
1st clue that the dude is a moron? His name is bear, If that wasnt bad enough all of his crap is staged and fake, u could put anyone out in the woods, with supplies and get the same results.NOT A FUN WATCH AT ALL.

Survivorman on the other hand is awsome.

Yeah and not to mention Bear is a show-off who lies. That badger he ate, wasn't a badger but a steak in a badger skin!
I wonder if he really ate those grubs, or maybe they were chocolate creme grubs...:D

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
TeeGate said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
1st clue that the dude is a moron? His name is bear,

Those are fighting words Steve

Them certainly is fightin' words. Go get' em, Steve!

Where's the popcorn emoticon, Ben? :)

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I am no survivalist but one rule I have heard is, "stay dry, stay alive." Then I watch Man vs Wild and the guy is jumping into a river with all his clothes on! I have also read articles about Man vs. Wild being staged. For my money I'll take Survivorman! I find the show fascinating. Tonight on Man vs. Wild: Bear tries to book a motel room without a major credit card!!! Haha

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
You guys miss the concept of the show, Bear never claims to perform these stunts. He states over and over the point of his show is for people to always stay on their toes and keep thinking creatively. He simply shows ways to build traps, fires, rafts, what you can and can't eat, etc. The show is about getting out of situations using these concepts. Bear is more of a adventurest then survialist. He is still bad ass though, there is no faking it when you climb everest at 23, or take a hot air balloon to 25,000 feet, or free fall when your parachute doesn't open.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
$$$

There is only one way to settle this debate. I have been reluctant to share this info with anyone because this idea could be pitched to Discovery and make somebody very rich:) Ok Both men are placed on different summits in a one of the world's extreme terrains let's say Alaska, and they both have to compete in a competition of sorts in order to acquire certain survival tools, (knife, matches, wire, etc.) After the competition Bear and Les are given the supplies they earned and sent up their respective mountains. After 7 days has passed we will see who is the real "Survivor" is.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Bear is too much of a drama queen. There's no doubt that he's tough and knowledgeable, being former SAS, but he's a showman. Les Stroud just tells it like it is. A lot of people I talk to think he's boring, but they're the people more likely to watch Man vs. Wild. I definitely prefer Survivor Man. I'm also a big fan of Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
There is only one way to settle this debate. I have been reluctant to share this info with anyone because this idea could be pitched to Discovery and make somebody very rich:) Ok Both men are placed on different summits in a one of the world's extreme terrains let's say Alaska, and they both have to compete in a competition of sorts in order to acquire certain survival tools, (knife, matches, wire, etc.) After the competition Bear and Les are given the supplies they earned and sent up their respective mountains. After 7 days has passed we will see who is the real "Survivor" is.

After the 1st day Les would make a snare and catch bear, and eat him:ninja: