Dismantling a Canon SX120 Lens Cover ??

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have a Canon SX120 and the shutter type lens cover is sticking partially open when the camera is turned on and the lens completes its extension.
I talked to Canon and they would not give me any hints about getting the lens cover off and recommended sending it in for service or buying a refurb at a cost of $119.00 I was also told that the average repair runs around $90.00

I would be happy removing the cover and leaving it that way, I just haven't figured out how to get it off. The cover is about as thick as a lens filter. I can pry it a good distance but it doesn't want to come all the way off and I suppose that it is because it is mechanically linked to the opening of the lens.

Has anyone played around with one of these ?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have not, but did try and resolve a problem on a Nikon P&S with the lens extending. In that case most everything was made of plastic and I found one of the gear teeth broken. It now sits in a plastic bag awaiting burial. I would not try to force it. Perhaps a very short burst of WD40 or a search on the web for a parts manual or time for a new camera? Good luck.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since we have the same camera and are having somewhat similar problems, I looked it over carefully and I believe that end piece comes right off. Turn it over and look at it from the bottom and you can see the slot where it slides in. If I pull on mine it comes out somewhat. I have not tried to get it off because mine seems to be working right now and I don't want to ruin anything. Since yours does not work you may have nothing to loose if you don't want to pay to have it repaired.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That video is quite good for taking apart the back of the camera, but it does not show how to remove the lens. Maybe it would be easy to do where the video left off, but that is uncertain and a gamble.

I don't think Scott's hands are small enough to work with those screws :)

Guy

If I was working with and dropping those little screws, they would be hearing my F-Bombs in outer space !

Guy, I did try prying at the very front of the lens cover and I noticed that keyway on the bottom. I worry about prying too hard because I assume there is a linkage that activates the flaps.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I was working with and dropping those little screws, they would be hearing my F-Bombs in outer space !

Guy, I did try prying at the very front of the lens cover and I noticed that keyway on the bottom. I worry about prying too hard because I assume there is a linkage that activates the flaps.

Yea, it would be nice to know how that linkage works.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to believe that you will have to go through all of the steps in the video that dogg posted, and even further. I bet now that the lens has to come out through the camera.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well after much deliberation and figuring how much money I am going to blow on fuel for the boat this summer, I opted for a Canon factory repair instead of looking for a new camera.

I was sent a written estimate to repair it via email within 2 days of mailing it to them. The estimate was $96.00

They asked for payment via credit card which I sent immediately and within a week I was sent a brand new camera.
There was a boiler plate note included in the box stating that "repairs are not performed on the type of camera" I sent in and they were enclosing a 'new or refurbished" unit. I was told by phone a month ago that a refurb was $119.00
The camera is new and I was given the full accessory kit of download cable, av cables, carrying strap and new Duracell batteries.

I guess I can look forward to at least another year and a half of happy picture taking.
I promise not to treat this one like a rented mule !

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to hear.

Unfortunately, where we use our equipment is not the most ideal place for them to be.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You got that right Guy.
I took that thing everywhere, usually in a shirt pocket.

I have been lost without it these last few weeks, especially on our fishing trips. The trips haven't been stellar though, so I haven't missed too many photo ops.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When my lens is fully out there are scratch marks all around the circular area from sand stuck in it. Each time the lens comes out I can hear it digging even more into the plastic. I just returned from vacation in Vermont and found myself using the new video camera more than my camera.

Guy