Do you live in a redneck town

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Shazam! That’s a surprise. Sorry Manumuskin, but Millville is just a hipper place than first-place Vineland. It must be the banana custard at Blinkers that civilized your haunt, which I argue is the best soft-serve in the whole state. Technically Vineland's border is three miles away from my place, but mail is still delivered through the old Rural Free Delivery route #5 system so the family's cultural ties are linked to Vineland.

Reactions: Menantico

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Millbillies would argue that Millville is much more redneck then Vineland or at least it used to be.Of course Millville can't even hold a candle to Laurel Lake,Belleplain or virtually any place in Maurice River,Downe or Commercial townships. My wife just chewed me out today for leaving the house in camo fatigues with sandals on with white socks on under them? I don't know what the problem was?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Probably because you didn't have your NRA T-shirt on, or any T-shirt ;)

I wonder how a Princeton redneck dresses :eek:

As a lifelong resident of Vineland (who just recently moved to Smithville), I would absolutely say those Millbillies in Millville are way more redneck. Especially as you move further south into Maurice River Twp., Laurel Lakes, Delmont, Heislerville, Dorchester, Leesburg, as Manumuskin already stated. That narrative, as well as the demographics in town, is changing, as my students here in Vineland don't really view Millville like that anymore, or even as a hated rival like it used to be. We had a song we would sing when I was still in school that went along the lines of "id rather be a raindrop than a hick from Millville High." I can tell you that the rednecks in Vineland are becoming a dying breed though, pretty much relegated to the eastern and northern parts of town. Not as many monster trucks in the high school parking lot as their used to be.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I see more camo pick up trucks around here with rebel flag bumper stickers and plates then I do when I head down south. We also have a good share of snuff dippers as well. I have cousins that make me look down right citified.Of course true hillbilly blood flows in their veins so that may have something to do with it.

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
I grew up in a very small town near Hackettstown (on the list, not in the pines). Hackettstown was practically a city as far as we were concerned, a half century ago (and it bears almost no resemblance today than it did then). I sort of dislike the automatic association of hunting, fishing, and working for a living with "uneducated" and "offensive opinions and attitudes". I do get this is supposed to be a fun article though. Maybe the point here is just that not everybody from NJ is a "city-slicker"? This rebel flag thing, though--honestly I don't get it; certainly not in this state and not 150 years since the demise of the Confederacy. Do some people just use it to "prove" that they're "rednecks" if that is something they aspire to be?

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The flag is looked at more now as a "Rebel" flag and not a Battle flag for the Confederacy.It is waved as a symbol by most people of their right to tell the Federal Government to "Kiss Off" for any reason they deem worthy of it. It wasn't considered a racist flag till the KKK took to flying it and ruined a piece of American history. Redneck was just originally a term to denote a farmer since they all had sunburned necks from bending over a plow. Now that term has become kind of vague.I think it just means country folk now and many of the folks who fly Rebel Flags couldn't tell you when the civil war was fought or give you any reason why it was fought other then a vague notion that slavery had something to do with it.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Personally I prefer this one; no doubt about its meaning ;)

Dont-Tread-300.gif

http://www.Gadsden.info

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
[QUOTE="manumuskin, post: many of the folks who fly Rebel Flags couldn't tell you when the civil war was fought or give you any reason why it was fought other then a vague notion that slavery had something to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe people need a history lesson. Good grief.

Reactions: manumuskin