Does anyone know what this is?

A friend and I came across this and couldnt figure out what it is. It is maybe a mile or two away from Martha Furnace. Idk why the picture keeps coming up sideways....

CAM00014-2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I fixed your photo. All photo's should be scaled down if possible and that usually solves that problem. Make it 790 pixels wide and they fit nicely.

Here is what it looked like in the 70s and recently.

aat.jpg

Reactions: relayer and Apu Zen

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Here are some pics I took of the place in 1992.

Attachments

• 1 cranberry pumping station.jpg
    1 cranberry pumping station.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 2 cran pump sta.jpg
    2 cran pump sta.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 311
  • canal for cran pump sta.jpg
    canal for cran pump sta.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: Apu Zen

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What was the mechanism that actually raised the water? They could have just had a pump and pipe but look at that structure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be interesting to know more about it. Was it in use, did it not work, or did the state stop them from using it. I have discussed this with Lost Town Hunter and the questions about this place are numerous.

I will check with someone tonight that may have an answer.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quick response. I edited this somewhat in the event they did not want anyone to know who they are.

Guy....

My understanding was that the pump station did work and was used to get water from the river into the Cutts Brothers fields back in the day. The water got pumped up over the rise and then followed canal into the fields. I don't think that the state made them stop using it, I think they just found that wells were a better way to go. I believe (not sure) that they did own all the property out to the river. When the state bought all the Cutts Bros property, they leased back to them the property they currently still use. I guess they really didn't need the pump station anymore so they didn't lease that back.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I would like to add that there is a dim canal that appears to have feed the Cutts bogs from reservoir(s) behind the cellars at Calico. Maybe these pools were easier to use than the pump station.

(I may be using the name Calico in reference to the wrong area.)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would like to add that there is a dim canal that appears to have feed the Cutts bogs from reservoir(s) behind the cellars at Calico. Maybe these pools were easier to use than the pump station.

(I may be using the name Calico in reference to the wrong area.)

That location looks unused today. I guess they run strictly with pumps.