Dogs and Snakes

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I know it's not too much of a concern right now, but I love to take my dog in the pines in the summer and I'm growing more concerned the more I read about pine rattlers. I already lost one dog to a severe heart condition, and I wouldn't want to lose another to a run-in with a deadly snake. I know the rules state that a dog should be on a leash in the pines, but even a flexi could let a dog get a little to close to an unwelcoming serpent. Has anyone else here ever been concerned about something like this, or should I even be worried about this kind of thing? :rolleyes:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I would say it is of very little concern. timber rattlers would run away or give a real good warning (I think a dog would react instinctively). It would be a real freak accident. There are probably much greater dangers in likely hood, automobile-drowning-coyote or aggressive dog-tree falling on him. Those aren't really reasons to not bring him out, so I don't think snakes would be either. But wait to hear others reply, I really don't know much about snake/dog dynamics.

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Depends on your dog. Is it inquisitive, like to check new things out, is it well trained to your command? The problem is that most snake bites on dogs are in the head/face area when they go to take a snif. Folks in snake country normally train their dogs to steer clear of them, friends in AZ have had theirs trained.

I've never come across a rattler but once, but dogs have a way of finding things.

http://snake-avoidance.com/

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I think the odds of your dog finding a rattle snake in the pines is just a bit higher than your own. I have only come across three rattle snakes and none of these were in NJ. This was a long time ago, but in each case I think I was alerted to the snake by its rattle instead of seeing it first. I was well within the strike distance for these snakes when alerted by their rattle, but these snakes did not run. They coiled up and held their ground and I conceded quickly. This situation might not be good for the typcial follow its nose dog. All that being said, if I had an outdoor dog (instead of my wifes new indoor Maltese mop) I would take it to the pines often as I have done many times with real dogs.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
My guy is always off the leash in the woods. Its never been a major concern of mine since I havent seen a rattler in the pines yet, but I do know there are some out there. I think its unlikely he'll run into one.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Based on the odds of an encounter, snakes and other critters are at the bottom of my list of worries for my dog. Encounters with people are usually at the top of the list. My dogs are usually off-leash and you never know if the person coming down the trail from the other direction is afraid of dogs, anti-dog, or merely not fond of a muddy Labrador giving him a friendly greeting. I always stay prepared to call my dog back and leash him if the need arises. This is New Jersey. People problems far outnumber animal problems!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I've occasionally seen rattelers where I frequently hike with my dogs. I only keep one on a 26 foot long retractable line the others run free. She is a 12 Lb terrier who likes to look under every log and crevice, a bad idea. She is used to snakes but I am afraid she might inadvertently stick her nose into a den. We try to stay on the trails in warm weather, mostly because of ticks. In the brush they would be hard to spot untill your right on them. All the rattelers I've met have been very docile. I have helped several cross a road.
Geocachers also have a habit of hiding caches under logs and in hollows, which is why I carry a geo-poker/hicking stick. I haven't heard of anyone getting bit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Chris and Ed,

I deleted the last three posts.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i worry about the dogs hurting the snakes more then the other way around but i understand you love your dog like i love my snakes.....really it is a very small risk compared to other postential accidents.I have far more contacts with yellowjacket nests then rattlers.
Al

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the feedback. As for my dog, he listens, but he loves chasing little critters and when he's on a scent trail, it's hard to break his focus. He's a 45 lb. Irish Wolf Hound mutt and loves to look for different scents. He's never caught anything in the pines, but he's gotten a lot of the moles near our condo so I would think if he saw something move in the bushes, we would probably check it out rather than leave it alone. I was out exploring the area's around Harrisville and found a shed rattler skin and really didn't even see it till I was about 4 feet from it. That's what made me think of this. I understand they're kind of rare in the pines, but really didn't know just how rare they were. I do worry about the well being of critters in the pines, but I also wouldn't want to lose my dog. And honestly if it came down to a fight, I really don't think my dog would win against more than a fight with a garden snake. He's been attacked by a huge cat before and backed off right away, but it only takes one strike from a snake to end things. Thanks again for the input, I'm sure a lot of guests to this site that have dogs will find this informative.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy and Ed thanks for editing...sorry to sound over paranoid but I'm kind of the personal watchdog for those serpents there.

Kevin is there maybe a way to teach him not to scent on the smell of rattlesnake. I don't have dogs nor ever have is this possible?? I have plenty of rattlesnake sheds from my travels if you need some....hah.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
having grown up with dogs, (border collies, great dane and an akita) as well as a brother who was always bringing home snakes (pine, racers, hog nose, king snakes etc)...our dogs avoided them like the plague. in fact if the snake was on the ground the dane and the akita would leave the area. the border collie would circle it from a distance barking...i guess she was protecting her "sheep". no dogs, "sheep" or snakes were harmed. the snakes were all turned loose by the end of the summer in the areas they were found.

i would think, any dog with terrier in it's blood line would be a candidate to get bit. they were bred for hunting vermin, and in their mind that's what a snake is. i would be concerned about the "over inquisitive" dog also. personally i think it best to keep them on a lead.