Dogs in the Pines

Christine_Ray

Jul 23, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for where to take your dog in the pines. We're considering camping at either Belleplain of Parvin for a few days as they have pet-friendly sites, and would love to take the pooch hiking with us. Are they any good trails in the area that allow dogs? We would also really like to take her kayaking/canoeing, but we would have to rent and I'm not sure if dogs are allowed on rentals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Dogs are allowed anywhere in a State Forest, as long as they are on a lead having a max length of 6'. Dogs that are hunting are exempt for obvious reasons. I was only asked once by a Ranger to put our dogs on leads when we were in the vivcinity of Goshen Pond. I carry a lead and usually only use it when we encounter horses.
State Parks may have specific areas where they are not permitted, such as swimming beaches.

The full legal rule text:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I only put Sophie on a leash when ready to cross blacktop.It back fired on me once on the new section of batona trail.She ran ahead and got in a fight with a Doberman that hikers did have on a leash.I had to jump on em and pull em apart.I felt bad since I was the one in the wrong.I think Sophie ran up to say hi and the Doberman got defensive being on a leash and protecting her girl and jumped Sophie who attacked back.I didn't ask the girl what happened just apologized my ass off.It was a weekday and I say no one parked at the south end and when i got to the north end after the affair there was no car parked there either so they must have been long distance hiking though no one had a pack.If it had of been a weekend I wouldn't of even had her on the trail.She has never offered to bite a person and I don't think she would unless defending me or the wife.She is more defensive of Momma when I'm not home,especially when on night shift.She knows when I'm gone and sleeps in the room with her.When I'm home she sleeps in the living room.Problem is there are a lot of folks out there with caninaphobia...did I just make a new word???I have been bluffed by a thousand dogs running up on me and the only dogs that have ever gotten me are little punk dogs like chihuahuas that ran up on me from behind.I'm not afraid of dogs and an honorable dog sees this when attacking from the front (honorable dogs don't attack from the rear) and they usually make friends with me.They know anyone this ugly has to be cool.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I have been bluffed by a thousand dogs running up on me and the only dogs that have ever gotten me are little punk dogs like chihuahuas that ran up on me from behind.I'm not afraid of dogs and an honorable dog sees this when attacking from the front (honorable dogs don't attack from the rear).

I like that observation.