Doodletown

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
a small settlement, now within Bear Mt State Park NY, settled in 1762. Planning an autumn trip, has anyone visited the place? A bit off the beaten path, with a couple of old iron mines.

400px-Doodletown_sign_6084.JPG

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I have been there a few times when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago. I remember it was a cool area and there is some great hiking in the area. While you are in the neighborhood are you planning to go to any other local sites? I grew up in Newburgh, not too far from there.

And if you get chance and like this sort of thing, I would definitely recommend stopping at West Point. It is a great way to spend some historical time!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have been there a few times when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago. I remember it was a cool area and there is some great hiking in the area. While you are in the neighborhood are you planning to go to any other local sites? I grew up in Newburgh, not too far from there.

And if you get chance and like this sort of thing, I would definitely recommend stopping at West Point. It is a great way to spend some historical time!

Thanks, yes it is a very cool area. My grandparents lived not far from there and rented a cabin on Lake Tiorati in the summer, spent many childhood days up there and later skiing at Silvermine. I remember when they had the ski jumping competitions at the Bear Mt Inn. Took a day trip in 2009, but have not spent any real time there in a number of years, hoping to get back to the old mine on Arden Valley Rd. But never got to Doodletown. Have been to West Point, a must see. The state now has a very nice historic display at Fort Montgomery. I do enjoy Revolutionary War history and we are fortunate that our area is chock full of it :)