Dover and Lacey Roads

OctoberRust1313

Jul 14, 2020
Brick
Greetings!

So I joined this board a while ago. My name's Leigh Ann, and I've just started exploring the Pine Barrens a couple years ago. I've lurked in here thus far because that's just my nature, and also because I've been able to find answers to whatever questions I have with a little bit of digging around on here.

But there's one thing I haven't found on here yet. I know about the Cedar Crest factory ruins off Lacey Road, or in that general area. I plan on exploring those soon. But what about on the opposite corner off Dover Road (the northeast corner)? The 1940's aerial shows structures in there. Is there anything left there worth exploring?

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.90269274356658&lng=-74.3184488287349&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Normally, I wouldn't ask and would just go check them out on my own. Half the fun in exploring these places is making these discoveries. But I was in the area this past weekend, and the more I looked at the path leading in, the more overgrown it looked. So I guess I was wondering if it's worth bushwhacking my way back there at the start of tick season?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Greetings!

But there's one thing I haven't found on here yet. I know about the Cedar Crest factory ruins off Lacey Road, or in that general area. I plan on exploring those soon. But what about on the opposite corner off Dover Road (the northeast corner)? The 1940's aerial shows structures in there. Is there anything left there worth exploring?
I have been in there. They are likely 20th century structures related to the peach orchards that were in that area. They are rectangular foundations of (if I recall correctly) cement type of block, but crude ones.

1616066634608.png

Reactions: OctoberRust1313

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That access point on the river is now owned by the Forked River Mountain Coalition.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Greetings!

So I joined this board a while ago. My name's Leigh Ann, and I've just started exploring the Pine Barrens a couple years ago. I've lurked in here thus far because that's just my nature, and also because I've been able to find answers to whatever questions I have with a little bit of digging around on here.

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.90269274356658&lng=-74.3184488287349&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Normally, I wouldn't ask and would just go check them out on my own. Half the fun in exploring these places is making these discoveries. But I was in the area this past weekend, and the more I looked at the path leading in, the more overgrown it looked. So I guess I was wondering if it's worth bushwhacking my way back there at the start of tick season?
Welcome Leigh Ann! I do a lot of local exploring as well from Toms River down to Manahawkin mostly. A very useful tool to find more info on a location is by using Boyds Maps. He has 20+ different maps to look at and very often one or more of them will show more detail, sometimes names of places as well.

For example, here is a 1949 Topo map of the same location: https://online.boydsmaps.com/#16/39.9020/-74.3185/pines1949

Here is a LIDAR view which shows various trails or raised surfaces in that area. Boyd also has a handheld/phone app that works on your phone while you are walking or driving. I've discovered so many new spots using these tools. I go out a few times a week if you have questions let me know- more than happy to help a fellow discoverer!

• Love
Reactions: Boyd