Dr Stills office up for sale

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Interesting. I had no idea the house was still there and I drive through that intersection at least once a day on average. I will have to look for it. Hopefully the state, or some historical society interest will come through in preserving the house and remaining property. It definietly seems that the family is going to do their best to see that happen. Still was a pretty significant real-life folk hero in the area. I wonder if the family is in possession of some of his medical notes. His blending of acedemic medical knowlege and Indian native remedies must be very unique.

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The state and the current owners have reached a deal to preserve the property. It's on the front page of our local paper "The Central Record". Unfortunately I can't find a link to post.

Ed

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Glad to hear it. This site is just as important as any in the pines to preserve. Come to think of it, have you guys ever heard of there being towns in the pines that were all black enclaves at one time or another? I think I remember reading a thread about this a million years ago over at the old forums. New Jersey would do well to include a mention of this in the black history month curriculum.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was a good article in a New Jersey mgazine my mom gave me about all the black towns in SJ. Most of them were from Elwood south. There was a cool photo of one of the cemetery stones sticking out of the ground in one of the old black cemeteries. The article discussed the KKK problems and how most of the younger residents left over the years. It did mention that some of them are returning to their old family plots to live.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I know that a lot of black families were displaced as areas closer to Philadelphia made the transition from rural to suburban; Mount Laurel comes to mind specifically. There's still a little church on Elbo Lane that was the focal point of one such area. Basically, I believe the poor families were taxed out of existence as the land values increased and they couldn't pay the tax on the few acres of farm land.

This led to the state supreme court's "affordable housing" requirement in a number of communities as a way to insure that at least some of the less fortunate people could continue to live in these areas, like Mt. Laurel, Lumberton, Evesham and Medford. This is all still the source of much controversy. But whenever a developer builds a certain number of homes, he is mandated to provide X number of "affordable" homes as part of the project.