Driving down Batsto Lake Rd to Quaker Bridge w/ a sedan from Batso Village?

Yan-tonz

Jun 23, 2018
Smithville, NJ
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this board, but have been seeking ways to explore the NJPB more..my question is in regards to Batsto Lake Rd, and if anyone's ever driven down it with a sedan. I have a Honda Civic, and am worried about possibly getting stuck on a sand road..but would really like to check out the Quaker Bridge area as I hear it's a wonderful spot. Thanks!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You can assess it by Quaker Bridge Road. Enter at Atison. I drove it last week and it was surprisingly good except for one spot about 1 mile from the bridge. Pick your path carefully. Do not drive up to the bridge, the road before it is bad. Park on the hard, stay out of the sand. Once you walk over the bridge you can go south on the Batona Trail or Goodwater Road, the bridge is a favorite picnic spot. Go north to Lower Forge. and further to Mannis Duck Pond. You can spend a year exploring there.
To the point, don't take Batsto Lake Road, it is very trappy, even in my jeep.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the event you are not sure where Quaker Bridge Road is that is mentioned above, enter here.

As mentioned above, do not cross the bridge unless you are good at driving in sand. Be careful if you do.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you have one, take along an air pump that uses your car cigarette lighter and reduce the air pressure in your tires to 15-20 lbs. Will be a big help in not getting bogged down in the soft sand. Use the pump to air up after your trip.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Another nice hike is on Quaker Bridge Road, half way to Quaker Bridge. On the right, just after the small concrete bridge, is a road along the Mullica River. Park off of Quaker Bridge Roan and hike, don't take the Civic down it. You can go all the way to Batsto.

Guy, do you remember the name of that little bridge, probably part of Fruitland?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
A few years ago I was driving into the woods in my Odyssey van and Highlander. A couple of points.

First, if you get stuck, not everyone will drive into the woods to tow you out. Flynn's Towing of Mt. Holly pulled me out of Whitesbog 3 years ago for $250, said he should have charged me $500.

Second, a Civic is probably lower to the ground than either of my old cars, which increases the likelihood of getting stuck.

Third, a lot of people park at the Atsion Mansion on Rt. 206 and hike down Quaker Bridge Rd. If you are fit, you can follow the Yellow Trail from Atsion to Batsto, a nine mile hike that follows along the Mullica River and is a very nice hike with lots of things to see, especially around the Locks Bridge area. Or you can just hike on the Yellow Trail to Lock's Bridge, then return to Atsion. Beautiful walk in the woods, with the full Pine Barrens experience.

And here is Lock's Bridge.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another nice hike is on Quaker Bridge Road, half way to Quaker Bridge. On the right, just after the small concrete bridge, is a road along the Mullica River. Park off of Quaker Bridge Roan and hike, don't take the Civic down it. You can go all the way to Batsto.

Guy, do you remember the name of that little bridge, probably part of Fruitland?

The Wharton survey called it "Stone Bridge." That is all I know about a name.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, don't even think about Batsto. Stick with Quaker Bridge if that is where you want to go.