Driving Harrisonville Lake to Oswego Lake

Keasbey

Oct 6, 2009
Planning on taking a kayak trip today and am looking at google earth. I was gonna take the scenic way and go up martha rd and left on allen rd to go over to the lake. Besides the potential for a lot of water right now, is there anything that would stop me from doing that? I ask because once upon a time I was wandering around back there and I came across some kind of federal do not enter signs, I wanted to make sure it wasn't there

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Allen Rd. is closed where it crosses the bog, or at least it was last time I was in there. There was some discussion here about it, and if I recall correctly the state/county vacated that stretch to the owners and they blocked it for safety/insurance reasons.

So unfortunately there is no way through that I know of, and if you turn right on Allen you head down to the range where it's blocked again. You have to go back out to the highway and go around. I guess you might get through to 539 following Martha Rd. on past Allen along the river, but I haven't done it and I bet its some tough driving.

Bog

I tried for quite a while. I ran into an old gentleman gathering moss and pine cones. I asked if he was familiar with a viable route. He told me there were several at one time, but none now. Allen to 539 is doable.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mark is correct. Years ago one could do just that, but Haines now owns the road to Oswego Lake so doing so would be illegal.

Guy