Driving Question

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When I cross 73 moving WNW on Braddock Mill road, and I want to turn left onto Kresson-Gibbsboro road, why is this big square with the X greeting me. Am I not allowed to turn there? That is one funky intersection.

1726085796163.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Man, that is some ugly Google AI enhanced imagery! :D Have never noticed that spot before. Guessing that box with the X just means don't stop and block the intersection when the light changes. A number of years ago they had a safety campaign, "Don't block the box". For example, see this

https://www.driveincontrol.org/dbbox

If you do a Google search for "Don't block the box", it also brings up some photos of other intersections that are painted like that.

Reactions: bobpbx

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
What he said :)
There's a street sign there, you can "google drive" and see it too
Man, that is some ugly Google AI enhanced imagery! :D Have never noticed that spot before. Guessing that box with the X just means don't stop and block the intersection when the light changes. A number of years ago they had a safety campaign, "Don't block the box". For example, see this

https://www.driveincontrol.org/dbbox

If you do a Google search for "Don't block the box", it also brings up some photos of other intersections that are painted like that.
Exactly! My sister lives near there and I crossed that a lot. If coming from 73 and cars are stopped in the X area, and you need to cross the road, the jug handle could back up on to 73.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That makes sense. I recall on the way back, that I had to get into that narrow rectangle to cross 73. That was odd, because there was no arrow in it, and since I was at the stop sign, I could not see if that was what I had to do. And I saw that people on my left were waiting for me to do it, and I though they were just being nice!