Dunes in The Pines

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark Demitroff sent me this information about Dune Formations at Newtonville. Very cool. Below the email I've printed the meat of the announcement. I've left off the photos, but they'll be in the PPA newsletter (hopefully). I'll try to make this one:

Hi Bob,

I'm forwarding a paper on the Newtonville dune field for your consideration. I will hold a short colloquy explaining the cultural and environmental dynamics of this feature at the Martin Luther King Center, Sunday, May 20 at 3:00 PM. Feel free to pass on the information. See attached. This article will be printed in the Pinelands Watch and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance Newsletter.

Regards,
Mark

WEB PAGES:
University of Delaware Permafrost Group - Mark Demitroff

"Expanding Our Appreciation and Understanding of Pinelands Natural History"

A Pinelands Commission staffer recently called my office with questions about a parcel in Buena Vista Township slated for development. I am a Pinelands Geographer, and resident of the municipality being queried. My current research at the University of Delaware chronicles 200,000 years of local climate change, and how regional environmental dynamics relate to human ecology. The contact was serendipitous! The property in review was part of a special place, an intact relic of an unusual inland dune field. As with other unusual cold, non-glacial (i.e., periglacial) landforms in the Pines, these sandy windblown deposits are likely to possess significant natural and cultural resources. However, I quickly learned that no mechanisms exist to protect upland geologic features, no matter how outstanding they may be! It is suggested that a heightened appreciation for the natural history of the Newtonville dune field could provide the basis for its preservation. A one-hour program about this site will be presented at the Dr. Martin Luther King Community Center, 661 Jackson Road, Newtonville, NJ on Sunday, May 20th at 3:00 PM. A brief walking tour of the dune field will follow the meeting. Contact Mark Demitroff (856.696.2527) or the Pinelands Preservation Alliance for further details.
When Jack McCormick authored The Pine Barrens: A Preliminary Ecological Inventory in 1967, he advocated numerous ecological research opportunities to the National Park Service. The report laid the groundwork for the Pinelands National Reserve, and became a rallying point for many ecological, botanical, and zoological investigations. However, one important directive had been overlooked. McCormick recognized the outstanding potential for geological study present in the Pines. He was particularly intrigued by the region’s Ice Age legacy. On page 83, McCormick acknowledged, “Some geologists claim to have found evidence of severe tundra-like conditions, but others claim the region was subjected to conditions only slightly cooler and wetter than at present.”
Recent work by the University of Delaware, the University of Ottawa, and the US Geological Survey indicates that South Jersey’s Coastal Plain experienced multiple episodes of permafrost formation under cold and dry conditions during the Pleistocene. Strong winds flowed southwards from the continental ice margin across the sparsely vegetated, tundra to desert-like terrain of the Pine Barrens. Climatic conditions much different from those of the present reshaped the Pine Barrens’ landscape, and impacted the size and shapes of peculiar landforms found in the Pinelands today.

In his inventory, McCormick was perplexed by the “numerous saucer-shaped depressions scattered throughout the Pine Barrens.” These intermittent pools or “spungs” are now interpreted as blowouts created by powerful winds flowing off the Laurentide ice sheet.

An outstanding example of this Ice Age inheritance was recently discovered in Newtonville, in Atlantic County. A well-preserved Late Pleistocene dune field exists along the southern banks of the Great Egg Harbor River. Rare hairpin parabolic dunes created a rugged landscape at this location. Their form is comet-like, with trailing arms that can stretch for a mile or more. Similar inland dunes are found in Saudi Arabia, northwest India, and northern Canada, and are associated with strong directional winds in sparsely vegetated terrain. Little is known about Ice Age dunes in the United States, although they have been intensively studied in Europe. In Netherlands, Germany, and Poland, similar features are valued and preserved as parks and monuments for their cultural and environmental significance.
Witmer Stone noted this place as a “wild spot” in The Plants of Southern New Jersey (p. 799). Railroad era settlers avoided this desolate patch; their 19th century roads cut across the windblown sugar sands soon crumbled and were quickly abandoned. Black colliers, making charcoal for Weymouth Furnace, were segregated to camps adjacent to this barren land. It wasn’t until the mid 1920s that blacks could move to other sections of town. A fair-skinned woman of mixed race, Rose Washington, put an end to Newtonville’s racial discrimination. Developers made no secret of selling certain properties only to whites. Many Pine Barrens villages were considered “white bread, mayonnaise.” Rose could pass for being Caucasian, and purchased lots off-limits to blacks and resold them to newcomers seeking a better life in pastoral solitude.

Often, Pinelands dune features are dismissed as “fire shadows” on aerial photos. Lineations (A) on this 1931 aerial photo are hairpin parabolic dunes. Patterned ground (B) is present at Indian Branch, relics of ancient frost cracks related to frozen ground. The braided channels of Penny Pot Branch (C) were created when spring snowmelt flooded over frozen tundra. Some graves in an old “coloured” cemetery (arrow) display African burial customs.
Today, this geological wonder is threatened by development. Unfortunately, hairpin parabolic dunes are afforded little protection under the Pinelands’ Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP). When the CMP was drafted to preserve and protect the significant and unique natural resources of the region, geological phenomena were overlooked. Three decades hence, Pinelands Commissioner staffers are fettered to rules that don’t necessarily address new insight. Geomorphology is an underutilized tool in land-preservation efforts, particularly in the USA. Geotopes, locations where natural geological or geomorphological features worthy of protection exist, were recognized in 1972 at UNESCO's Convention on the Protection of the Cultural and Natural Heritage of the World. Unlike biotopes, geotopes have not received the attention in the United States that they have in Europe. In Germany alone, 76 national geotopes have been recognized as worthy of protection for tourism and study.
My point is that geology can provide a basis for the conservation of preserves and heritage sites, as it has at the Ice Age Scientific Reserve in Wisconsin. Through better recognition, understanding, and appreciation of exceptional geologic sites in the Pinelands, we can help protect our collective heritage from exurban sprawl. Such sites are often intimately linked to the greater human ecology. If you wish to learn more about how this marvelous Ice Age landscape influenced Newtonville’s physical, cultural, and biological systems, please attend the May 20th commemoration. Berger and Sinton in Water, Earth, and Fire: Land Use and Environmental Planning in the New Jersey Pine Barrens (1988: xviii) state, "The beauty and complexity of the Pine Barrens should awe the officials in charge of the region's future." That’s wishful thinking! In reality, it’s up to us to champion the natural drama that is the Pine Barrens.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
fascinating but disturbing that these dunes may be lost forever. That area along the great egg harbor river and A/c expressway ,while recieving some protection is not zoned preservation. Well, right along the river maybe, but it's primary defense against sprawl all these years has been poor economy mostly I would assume. It is a very wild area down there. I hope it is not all lost in the near future. Are you going to this lecture Bob?

Jeff

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I'd love to see some pictures. I wonder if this is similar to the walking dunes in Napeague (on Long Island).
Sure sounds like it, since in both cases the dunes move with the wind and any development could threaten their existance.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'd love to see some pictures. I wonder if this is similar to the walking dunes in Napeague (on Long Island).
Sure sounds like it, since in both cases the dunes move with the wind and any development could threaten their existance.

Are they archaic like these, or are you speaking of dunes that are constantly regenerating and shifting due to local conditions?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Are they archaic like these, or are you speaking of dunes that are constantly regenerating and shifting due to local conditions?

The Walking Dunes of Napeague, NY are active parabolic dunes near the glaciotectonically-deformed Hither Hills on the south fork of Long Island (click here for an aerial image).

for more click here
http://rock.geo.sunysb.edu/~davis/WalkingDunes.htm

From what I read it sounds like these dunes are similar to those in NJ, they may have even been a part of a large dune field when sea levels were much lower.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well I guess they are different. If anyone has pictures of those unique dunes in NJ I'd love to see them.

I'll bring my camera if I go. But I suspect they will be hard to tell them from regular pines topography unless you know what you are looking for. I don't at all expect to see large sand dunes like you would at Kitty Hawk N.C….I expect to see very low, undulating sand mounds covered in small brush and prostrate plants you would normally see in sugar sand areas.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Attachments

• ibsp.jpg
    ibsp.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 286
Oct 25, 2006
This is the general area being discussed: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....570929,-74.871225&spn=0.003734,0.006223&z=18

I'd agree that you won't see anything which looks like dunes unless you know what to look for. I've driven through there before and never realized they existed.

If you want to see some beautiful dunes in New Jersey then I'd suggest Island Beach State Park: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...-74.090939&spn=0.00744,0.008926&t=h&z=17&om=1

Island beach state park imo has the best dunes in nj,i would rank little beach,which is between little egg inlet and brigantine inlet(wreck inlet)a close second.Unfortunately little beach is off limits year round,have to see it from a boat,used to be a great surf fishing striper spot,need special permission to go to little beach,it requires a research permit.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Reminder: this is tomorrow. I am going.

Dr. Martin Luther King Community Center, 661 Jackson Road, Newtonville, NJ on Sunday, May 20th at 3:00 PM. A brief walking tour of the dune field will follow the meeting. Contact Mark Demitroff (856.696.2527) or the Pinelands Preservation Alliance for further details.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob...I may just be there. Keep an eye out for me :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was very interesting. No pictures. The dunes were what I expected. You would not know they were there unless someone pointed them out to you. Mark is very passionate about the area, and his presentations are excellant. He mixes local archeology, culture, and environment all together to help you see the big picture.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Great presentation (even though I came late :bang:) and subsequent discussion. Mark's knowledge and passion is truly inspiring.

BTW, damn the Pinelands Commission. Seriously.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The aerial photo of the fire while charcoaling was interesting. I think you may have missed that Gabe.

He had a 1931 aerial photo of the area right were we were, and it showed what must have been a charcoal burn. Next to the pit you could see the area where the ground was dug up to place over the pit. Unfortunately, the woods around it caught fire and you could see where it had expanded from the pit outward. He felt they had started back burns to control it but were semi successful. In the end they stopped it before it spread too far.

He also talked about the Davenport Branch near Whiting. Hopefully I get this correct.

Notice the river flow is not irregular starting at the top left of the photo and moving down as it curves to the lowest part of the river. But as the river starts curving upward toward the balloon you can see the river does not flow straight, and seems to meander. One would think that was caused by the flow of water creating the curves over time. He says that is not what causes that.

Thousands of years ago when this portion of NJ was frozen but not covered in ice, winds would whip across that portion of the river depositing sand that was blasted off of stones and rock that were on the surface of the ground, which in time allowed grass and other plants to grow. As things thawed and the water traveled through that area, it was restricted by the plants and sand and would swirl around creating the circular area’s that could be viewed much better in his older aerial photo’s. In any event, as the water swirled around it created a meandering river on the right side leaving the left side flowing relatively normal.

davenport.jpg

I hope I got that correct. :bang:

Guy