Dwarf Pine plains

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
We are having some beautiful weather this weekend and of course I was out in the pines. These are some photos of what I like to call the "dwarf piney woods" in Westhampton,NY. Part of my hike took me through some burn areas as well, from the 1995 fires. Ironically we are under a red flag warning, conditions are so dry that sand forms dust clouds when you walk on the trails. Some photos from my hike, more can be found in my album : http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=400

Wild turkey?
normal_dwpbird.jpg

normal_dwp6.jpg

normal_dwp2.jpg

normal_dwp1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Always great photo's!

I swear I walked down the roads in your photo's today :D

Guy

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
LongIslandPiney said:
Wild turkey?
normal_dwpbird.jpg

Close! That be a juvenile turkey vulture!
Hey. Which reminds me to ask of any serious birders on this list: Has the black vulture made its way up to south Jersey yet?

They used to be tightly restricted to the Gulf coastal plain (30-40 years ago...) but have since been seen further and further north.

Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah Dave, I have seen several black headed vultures. One week I made a point of counting them and I think I counted five sightings in that time period. Now, I travel route 70 alot, and therefore see many vultures. I would say maybe 30 a week on average, maybe more.

The other day I saw a vulture on the ground in the middle of Mt. Misery rd with it's wings spread open. My God those things are huge. There was another vulture in a nearby tree. Mating ritual perhaps?

As for the pictures above, I can just not believe how much that looks like Jersey. Amazing!!

Jeff