Early Location Reference

Discussion in 'Archaeology Arena' started by bobpbx, Aug 4, 2017.

1. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

A question for anyone having knowledge on this subject. I have a slip of paper with a reference to a location related to botany. The paper reads:

12th St. Sta,. Folsom, Atlantic Co., on Hospitality Branch. July, 1909

I know where the Hospitality branch is in Folsom. But do you think the author is referring to a Railroad Station? If so, do you know where it was? Also, is 12th street the same as route 54 these days?

2. Spung-Man

Spung-Man Explorer

Bob,

12th Street is basically the same as Route 54, the original road laid out for the colony of New Germany or Germantown in 1854 with the advent of the Camden & Atlantic (today Folsom & Newtonville), although Chalmers in Down the Long-A-Coming indicates the bridges crossing the Penny Pot Branches were not built until much later. In 1938, the WPA built an entirely new roadway alongside the original 12th Street, hence the wide grass margin on the east side and funky abandoned bridge abutments at watercourse crossings. It was envisioned that the road was to become a divided highway at some point.

I believe there might have been a whistle stop platform at that location that is known as the duck farm, a wild place of sugar sand dunes and beach plums. An old school chum of mine lived nearby, the Great Boboo. I imagine the location would have been a convenient place to ship out cranberries.

For a similar example, the same Cape May Branch had a passenger station in Richland on Harding Highway, with a nearby whistle-stop platform a half-mile to the south where Old Landis crosses. That platform was used for the convenience of ephemeral rounds (agriculture, forestry, moonshine). Water was pumped from the South River into a wooden tank for locomotive use there too. Jerseyman, thoughts?

3. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Thank you for that input Mark. My guess is the author meant here, shown below, at the "X", where 54 crosses the railroad. Is that about where you mean as well?

upload_2017-8-5_0-8-46.png

Attached Files:

4. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

When down there Bob you might want to check out Harris Hotts Barbecue. :D

slingblade likes this.
  5. Spung-Man

Spung-Man Explorer

Anecdotal accounts have the Hospitality Branch railroad bridge as dual use for both early road and railroad traffic crossing. The nearby excavation pond, made for the bridge abutment, was used as a swimming hole—sometime called the Newtonville Blue Hole where a legendary drowning occurred.

Bennett E. 1999. “On joy, sorrow and the blue holes of area Pinelands.” The Press of Atlantic City. October 31, XCIX, 304: A1, A15.

The man-made blue hole is a namesake of a natural feature that once existed a bit upstream on Three Pond Branch. The Great Ponds or "Locks" have long since dried up. The ancient Woodbury Road, a modified precontact trail crossed nearby at a natural dune dam.

S-M

6. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I saw that hole on the aerial. Seems a very ignorant move, to dig that hole right next to a stream.

upload_2017-8-5_10-6-53.png

#6 bobpbx, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    manumuskin likes this.
  7. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I just rode down 12th street yesterday:) I always wondered why that wide grassy strip was there along the east side.Wonder why they mow it and don't let it grow up?

8. johnnyb

johnnyb Explorer

I hope I'm wrong, but it could be they ran out of places to mow. Seems like the verge mowing habit has gotten way out of control. We lost a bunch of rare orchids at Ongs Hat Rd last year to that misplaced fervor.

manumuskin likes this.